West Point & Chicken....

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Royal Express, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Royal Express

Royal Express New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Let me start by saying this site is VERY informative! I'm very happy I stumbled upon it. I've always been a "Pay Lake" guy. Just got tired of the $$$ and lack of good size fish. So, my dad and I have decided 2 venture out to the Ohio and Salt Rivers.
    Here's my question(s). I talked to a few guys that I've met at the boat dock there in West Point. They all said use chicken. They ddnt specify if it was "sented" or anything...but do any of you "river guys" use chicken, or strickly shad?
    And, what's your opinion on the Salt River? I have a boat, just the "old man" perfers bank fishin'. Thanx.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have heard this before so I am not surprised. Good luck that is a great place to fish out of

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    first welcome to the BOC Randy and for your question I cant say for the chicken in the river. myself I use to fish paylakes as well when I lived in shepherdsville but after I moved to the rough river lake area I got to meeting a few people and learning a few things. anyways to my point since I quit fishing paylake I have stopped useing chicken all together. for cat fishing I stick with shad or skip-jack. it has produced more cats for me than any other bait I have ever had on my line, including a time or two at a pay lake since.but my primary areas are rough river lake and behind cannelton dam on the ohio.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Randy.

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    if your lookin for big fish ! leave your chicken at home, and find you some shad! but if your just lookin for eaters the chicken mite be ok! hard for me to say as i have not tried it! i catch mainly big fish so i use shad or skipjack! as far as the spot ! your in a good area for some decent fish!

goood luck!

6. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I think I shall utter it one more time !!!!! Shad and Skipjack !!!!!!!!!!:wink:

7. Royal Express

Royal Express New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i guess my next step is to get myself a casting net and net me some shad:wink:...Gonna be a lil hard if I dnt take the boat...may just have2 hit up Pepper Tackle and just buy a couple dozen. I think I'ma hit the river in the morning! I'm ready! :roll_eyes:...Thanx

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Good question! I've heard so many stories of what bait to use, what not to & got sick of hearing about it. I'm just planning of going to The Falls after making up some of my own doughtballs not knowing if it will work or not. Some of my biggest fish was on nightcrawers & the Pike was smelts.
    I seem to catch them when I expect it the least! Have fun!

9. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    :wink: Shad , Skipjack , Bluegills , Bullheads get the message.These baits "are" the chicken for the river fish.There are more but to sum it up fish catch fish.Chicken,dip baits,NightCrawlers and all that other stuff will also catch catfish but for the monster cats shad is my favorite.