West Frankfort Lake Old and New Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by 187um, Feb 3, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    wonderin if anyone out there is or has fished these lakes i live in the area and have been to both.i havent really done all that well there for cats when i did catch the cats they were bullhead no channels. i hear they are everywhere and yet i still have got none.:sad2: i have to bank fish both lakes due to not having a boat anyone got some info i could use?

2. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    I have seen poles snap by big cats in the old lake and I saw a 20 lb. flathead that came out of there.

3. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i went to the old lake and fished the point to the left of the dock when u fisrt pull in and also the opposite side and by the concrete dam and nothin 2 bites i think i got all last year from there. going to keep at it though persistence pays i believe.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like Howard has stated. The old lake has been know to have nice cats for many years.

5. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    anyone got info on fishin the new lake? i may be fishing from the bank but so not above walking through the brush and woods to find the honey hole.

6. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    went out today for some cold weather whisker huntin and did quite well over by the spillway 17 in total crazy how they were feedin today it was about 33 dgrs out and the fish were just hammerin the shad so good day out there cant wait to go back to try some other spots anyone know if there is a channel or holes reachable by bank fishing?? be great to know so any way that was my day on old frankfort lake

7. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    i am almost embaressed to ask but were is the new and old west frankfort lakes i just live here in herrin just a skip and a jump over and i was wanting to take to boat there thanks:cool2::smile2:

8. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    hey noah....if you take 149 (main st in frankfort) towards thompsnville there will be a road called new lake rd take a right it will lead you right to the new lake and after the bridge you will be on take your first right and follow the curves around and it will lead you to the opening to the lake small entrance though so keep a look out its on your left hand side. you can google map it as well.

9. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    hey thanks do you know if there is a hp limit i have a 25 and a 9.9 but i like to leave the 25 on :cool2: because it is a pain to change out

10. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    It a no horsepower limit lake:crazy:...you can use your 2 250 horsepower motors on the lake:wink:........but it also a no wake lake so your can"t got to fast there eather.:confused2::smile2::smile2:

11. noah

noah New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    good deal i guess i will have to go out there here before to long i was talking to a friend he said he knows both lakes so i think he is going to go with me thanks for all your help everybody
    :cool2:

12. dragon86

dragon86 New Member

State:
    west frankfort illinios
    becarefull out on the old lake there are some pipes from old duck blinds in the water u could hit your boat on. well at least one spot there is my cuison hit them a while back.

13. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey just wanted to let you know I have fished both of those lakes for quite some time. I usually end up with bigger fish but less of them than I do at Rend Lake. Some days the two of us took home our limit, most fairly large channels. As far as where to go without a boat, I have no clue. I usualy do fairly well on the New Lake in the area just across from the Scout camp..you will know it when you see it believe me. The water in the back of that area is very shallow and in the late summer its almost like catching bass because the fish end up jumping out of the water when you hook them...GREAT FUN!!!!!!. If your ever in the area let me know maybe we can go out on my boat and do some good.