West Fork White River Indy North

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by BigFlatty, Aug 15, 2005.

1. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Not really sure what happened round here but as long as we are still all here so be it.......fall will be here soon and we all know what that meens. I'm going to start fishing hard in the next week or two and will try my hardest to keep reports coming till winter starts knocking......would enjoy hooking up with some of you guys in the area b4 the seasons out....... and if we all keep up our posts on how the bite is going we should all have a good late summer/fall :)

2. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well caught 4 last night 5,8,17,21 pounds. I caught 2 and my buddy caught 2. We fished from 7pm till 11:30pm. It was around 70 degrees and raining softly. Now the crazy part is my 17 pounder was on cutbait with my channel pole, and as we were packing up our gear to leave i hooked into another flat on my channel pole CUT BAIT AGAIN, I got it to the bank once looked to push 50 pounds he turned and took off across the river i only had 15 pound test on my channel pole so i was kinda at his mercy, once he got to the other side and had already ran out 3/4 of my spool he decided to take me straight down river into a very fast moving shoot, so naturally i started wading down the river after him at 11 oclock at night..........but it was all for naught:( He ran all the line i had off and i lost him!

Now the moral should be to leave the stinking channel pole at home....but i guess i'm just to greedy.

Oh well one of these days i'll break 50..........and my luck I'll have to do it with 15 pound line on a channel cat pole.

good luck to all let you know when i go again

3. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Got the day off tomorrow, ready for one....anyways i'm going at em during the day and early evening i'll let ya guys know how it goes!

4. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    What's up BigFlatty? Where are you fishing on the white river? We went out to Claire Dam last weekend and caught some decent sized blues and I caught a twenty five pound carp on liver and catalpa worms. I couldn't believe it! :confused: Well good luck in your ventures and let me know how you do!

5. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    its tough to answer that question, I've been fishing for flats and channels outta white river since i was a kid, i know the river from strawtown all the way to 146th st like the back of my hand, here lately i've been focusing on the stretch from 206th st to cumberland. i'll keep the updates coming and maybe we'll wet some lines sometime if you want.

ps props for the carp, not a cat but dam fun to catch

6. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Sounds good Randy. We'll have to get together and tear up some fatties. We usually fish Eagle Creek by boat so maybe we could go out there one day also. Good Luck!!
    -Later

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Hey Randy, The bridge of 206th is about a quarter mile down from the Clair Dam. Do you fish under that bridge? Thanks!

8. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    right under the bridge is no good all really shallow, the long pool just south of it is always good for channels, but the first decent flathead hole is just past the first bend.

9. Rivercat

Rivercat New Member

State:
    Mooresville
    Well guys as stupid as it might sound I have found the flatties they are not in there holes this year they are in the shallows it took awhile to figure this out but caught a 30 #er 3 days ago in the shallows

10. Rivercat

Rivercat New Member

State:
    Mooresville
    Abad of fishing is better than a good day at work!!!!!! :)

11. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    were you fishing sunrise, sunset, middle of the night, or during the daytime? the two i caught the other night on cut bait were in the evening in 4 foot of water, not in the hole

12. zensurfer

zensurfer New Member

Hey boys. I fish just south of Martinsville on the White River. Aug 12 I caught an 8, 13, 19, 30, 35, and a 38 lbs flathead and had two take the bait on other rods while I was reeling in the big ones. I got the three thirty pounders all within twenty minutes. We were hitting them about 9 pm , 12 feet of water with suckers, alive or dead did not matter.

Went back to the same spot four days later and had turtle troubles. I took a kid and he was using cut shad. I think it drew every turtle for a mile. Still managed 5 nice channels and on the last piece of bait I moved to a hole I had found the first trip. I caught a 24 lb flat just before I had to go home.

Suckers seem to be the bait of choice right now. I've quit using golfish. I haven't had any bluegills to compare but with the way they are eating suckers, no complaints.

13. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    What's up Zensurfer? Where do you get suckers at? Do you get them at a baitshop? If so where? Eagle Creek was terrible last night and we only caught one two pound channel.....Weak!!! I can't remember the last time I caught 3 30 pounders within twenty minutes. Oh wait, that's probably because I never have! Sounds like you're doing something right, keep it up buddy! Good Luck Fishin!!

-Later

14. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well guys yesterday was good and bad, for the most part i was working rootballs in the middle of the day, live gills and cut bait, each hole i worked first with a hand sized gill then if i didn't get any hits i moved to the cut bait, went from 7am till 5pm, stayed dry although i did notice a mud line come down river and the river was on the rise from some rain up north. anyways finished the day with 13 channels ranging from 2lbs up to 13lbs, and one flathead weighing in at 24lbs. not a bad day i guess for 85 degrees and sunny, would've been nice to hook a few more flats.

good luck to all i'll let you know when i go again, it'll probably be next week, since i have my youngsters this weekend. :D

15. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    We fished at 10th Street Saturday evening/night. Only pulled in one 2lb channel, and my buddy caught the ever present snapping turtle. We were using live and cut bait. I caught the channel on a garlic salt/ sun cured chicken liver, Joe caught the snapper on cut shad. Hopefully the cool weather this week will help. It sounds like I need to head to martinsville, where do you guys fish down there (nearest bridge, bends, etc,)? Have you guys checked out the 'google earth' program? It's a free download and has the most amazing satellite full color imagery I have seen.

16. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    Hey Eric, could you give me the web site to the google earth program? thanks

17. BigFlatty

BigFlatty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i'm heading out sat night to try one of my holes, been fishing in morse lake for last couple of weeks tearing up channels, but anyway hope to see you guys at the gathering and monday i'll let you know how i did this weekend

18. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Sounds good Flatty! Keep us posted! See you at the gathering! :cool:

-Later

19. sam

sam New Member

State:
    Martinsville IN
    LilRyjoe04,
    They sell goldfish and suckers at Judy's Bait Barn in Martinsville.

20. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Right on Sam. Hey are you going to come to the gathering in Martinsville on the 24th? Hope you can make it! My brother and I always go to Westside bait and tackle on Whiteriver Parkway, because it on our way home after work, and they finally got some creek chubs. Last weekend we tore em up in southern Indiana on them. Good Luck Fishin and maybe I'll see you soon!!