West Fork River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by Catfishn22, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Does anyone fish the West Fork River around West Milford or Good Hope?

I was just wondering cause I drove by there the other day and it looked good but I don't know anything about it in that area.

2. Kenk

Kenk New Member

State:
    W.V
    not familar with that area but I'd like to hear about it

3. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    I talked with a guy who told me a guy he knew caught a 38lber. in that area on a trotline and a guy supposedly caught a 50lber. in the same area but I can't seem to find anymore about it yet. It looked to be an ideal Flathead River when I drove by it.

I dis stop and ask a lady and het teenaged son I spotted getting out of there car at a house along the river if there were any fish in that river?

The lady and her son told me there was HUGE catfish in there! I then ask how big and she and her son said somebody caught one that was 44 Inches long.

So I'm search for more information on the particular area

4. Kenk

Kenk New Member

State:
    W.V
    sounds good, might have to make a road trip

5. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Come over to Fairmont and I'll take you out!

6. Kenk

Kenk New Member

State:
    W.V
    Just might take you up on that

7. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Just let me know when you want to do it. I'm free most of the evenings to fish but there can be exceptions. If you let me know a week or two out I can plan for it and be available.

As with any fishing no guarentees but usually I can get into some flatheads on either the Monongahela River or West Fork River.

8. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey:

Where in West Virginia is the West Fork RIver? I may get a chance to come down this summer, if I have time. I'm coming from Michigan. Do you have any other good rivers that you would recommend for Flatheads?

Andy

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I would recomend the Little Kanawha and Kanawha rivers along with Burnsville Lake also many of the smaller rivers hold large cats such as the mud river monongehela and many more.

10. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Well Jerry60K pretty well summed it up.

The West Fork runs basically from Weston WV to Fairmont WV where it and the Tygart River join and become the Monongahela River.
    If you can tell us when and where in WV you'll be visiting maybe one of us whos close to that area can take you out. I'm located near Fairmont WV which is close to The Monongahela and West Fork and Tygart Rivers are right here, Ohio River is an hour and half away, Burnsville is about an hour or so away.

11. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't know if the West Fork would be my number one pick >?

I've caught a few smaller one's there maybe 10 lbs.

I would focus on the Lower Mon. or the Ohio would be the best bet !!!

HAWK

12. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I'll let you know. Thank you for your advice. I would really like to come out that way and do some fishin'. I will give you a shout if it looks like I'm going to be able to make it.

13. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    I'm interested in going with Robert on the Mon as well. I scoped out Little Falls area last night; I'm thinking about going there on Friday maybe. Let me know what your plans are, and maybe I can change mine!

Send me a private message when you know where you're going next.

oh, and btw - I've heard of 20lb flatheads in West Fork above Monongah, but I haven't caught any yet. We've caught several catfish and a couple walleye. There are also some decent-sized longnose gar there (in the 20"+ range), but they're difficult to get on the hook.

14. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    Let me know when your going and if i can get away I might come fish awhile!

15. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    As a matter of fact, I'm going right now! At least for a little while. The wife and baby are asleep (and sometimes that's the only time I can get there).

I'm planning on fishing this Friday on the Mon. I talked to a guy who owns a sliver of property on the Mon River Trail north of Little Falls. You probably know who I'm talking about . . . refused to give me permission. I plan to go to Little Falls by the bench like you suggested.

I guess it's true what they say . . . sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I just need a darned jon boat. That will solve my fishing problems. :|

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have caught a few over 20lbs in Clarksburg not this year tho . And I am a nice enough guy to tell you were . In Hartland @ the old trustle . Now it is just were the pipes cross the river to the park . Were the old bridge from park crosses the river by the city pool . And on up river were the old rr tracks parallel the river past an old coal tipple . Just a few spots to try .

17. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
  18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good info ! Clarksburg is upstream from spelter . I would be more worried downstream torwards fairmont and the river it joins there .Is it the Tygart ? I forget . LOL I know there are alot of boating going on right were you get off 79. And I think that is upstream from the confluence . How far do the heavy metals go before settling out ? Who eats oysters or shrimp or flounder from the gulf of mexico .

19. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    The West Fork upstream from Clarksburg is relatively clean (from Stonewall Jackson Lake, to Weston, to Clarksburg).

The Tygart is clean; there is nothing industrial on that river except Martinka Mine, which closed down ~20 years ago.

The Tygart and West Fork merge to make the Monongahela in Fairmont. It's not a very clean river, either.

Just makes me mad that the DEP has a job to do and not only don't they do it properly, but they say their ineptitude isn't going to hurt anyone anyway. . . . it's not right!

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I grew up in Clarksburg and when I come home I fish it still !Haint nuthen rong with thum fish !:crazy: . Still eat them too !