West Fork River

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by jrm11, Sep 23, 2005.

1. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Has anyone been fishing the West Fork, and have u done any good ?

2. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    I fish the west fork a good bit !! I mostly fish for "The monster Flatheads". Over the years I’ve seen many 20-50lbs. cats landed. I would say your best bet would be from the Everson bridge in monogah down to were the west fork dumps in to make the Mon. This summer I haven't been able to produce any monsters, but I can tell you about a night a month ago. My fishing buddy and I set off about 10:00PM.Arriving at his "Magic Spot" as he likes to call it, we drop anchor and wait...
    It was around 12:30AM. and his reel started off. He let it run for a good bit, jerked and missed. It wasn't until about 6:37AM. Then my pole had a run I knew from previously to let mine run a good bit longer, I jerked and it was on. I fought that fish for over 25 mines. The fish was actually pulling my buddy and I up the river probably about 30 yds. Every time I’d get the fish close to the boat the fish would plunge to the bottom making swirls and bubble almost the length of the boat. The fish broke my line and I never seen him.
    But by the way he fought im sure he was a flathead. That was the most powerful fish I’ve ever had on I do believe he exceeded 50lbs. who knows maybe state record. Trust me they r in there !!!!!

Thought u might like to hear that story lol

Also I bank fish allot for channel caught one this year 10 lbs. I don’t know if I would eat them or not ? I catch and release every fish and I hope u all do the same !!!!!

Good Luck Fishing,
    JM

3. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    Fished the west fork last night with a friend, downstream from monongah about 1/2 mile, had one run. The water was low but the mud banks are full of holes looks like a good river for pre spawn fishing. the next time we are going I will give you a shout.
    We are going to Tygart Dam next week I do not know which nite yet I will let you know

4. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Yes, i believe i know the where abouts u were fishing ! I haven't had a chance lately to get out but i plan a all nighter one day this week. The rain is supposed to be coming so hopefully they'll turn on."Where u fishing for flatheads>?<"

I appreciate ur feedback !!!

I've talked to a few locals and they haven't been catching them either. It's got to be the weather>???<

5. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    Flatheads YES everything else is Bait. We were in a boat in the First big bend below town, If you heard about the wreck on RT 250 we were in the river down below

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    hey guys i live in maryland i go to charlestown alot. looking for places in w.v with nice sizes cats . can anybody help rivers , ramps etc.

7. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    No Sh!T, I was fishing the night that wreck happened !!! ME and my buddy packed up b/c we heard some girl screaming >? MAybe one of these days we get together and fish ?

8. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    bend by the dog pound>?<

9. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    I do not know how we missed you we were scouting from a boat and had gone upstream to almost the old bridge, pier at the downstream end of town, shallow water, then downstream to the big brush pile above where the acid mine drainage empties into the river. fished there till 10pm no bites,moved up to the bend , must be the dog pound( we heard dogs fighting) then had a run as soon as we cast then nothing till we left at 12:30 am and we went home. I will let you know when we are going next time.

10. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Surely no flathead' s are going to be biting now !! "lol"
    To cold :eek:

Just wanted to know if u done much flathead fishing on the west fork, and just want to know your success rate.

Honestly theirs only bought a hand full of guys i see fishing the west fork for big flat's. HArdly anyone fish's for them just would like to know your opinion about the west fork ??

Thanks,
    JRM

11. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    No doubt to cold for flats. You mite try for channels in the WF.

12. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Went out the other night for a few hours. The new moon you better start fishing, for those flatties!!! I started about 7:20 pm and finished at 10:00pm.
    I had one really good run fishing off the bank in about 9-10 ft. of water using blue gill. I hooked the fished and got in some brush and i ended up cutting the line with my knife. i didn't have a boat to retrieve him. Darn the bad luck !!! I honestly couldn't tell u if it was a huge channel or small flathead?
    Im sure it's about that time of year !!!

Good Luck Fellows,
    JRM

13. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Me and my fishing buddy are hitting the river up tonight !
    I've got about 1 dz. creek chubs and hopefully catch a few gills before we set up. We'll be fishing from a boat the "JFM" if anyone is out tonight that way look for us and we'll put u in a spot.

The weather seems to be ok the forecast is just a little to cold than i would like for it to be. I think they gotta be biting though we've had nice weather and i had one hook a week ago>?

So wish us luck and good cat hunting !!!!!! JRM

14. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Say JRM1 How dd you do? I am going to try the West fork at Clarksburg soon. SEEYOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME>

15. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive caught flatheads in december before on the kanwha fishing for hybrids and sauger just have to slow down the baits. they just dont hit as hard. flatties are like us when its cold we still gotta eat...

16. RiversOwn

RiversOwn New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    flats like live bait better than dead?

17. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    what's your favorite channel cat bait for the mon and west fork?