West Chicago burbs fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Bossofbeefbowl, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    Alright,I'll admit it.After passively going after bass and carp and on a bit of luck I'm really like catfishing.Since most of it seems to be done on rivers,my question is...Is there actually anyone near me that catches nice size catfish?

I'm in the Chicago suburbs,Schaumburg area.If anyone is near here and wants to meet up I'm definitely up for it.

2. TNYHWK1

TNYHWK1 Member

State:
    ROCKFORD ILLINOIS
    Hey Chris,
    Have you tried the Des plains river, or the Fox? Or even Busse woods?

3. Bossofbeefbowl

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    I think I'll try Busse sometime soon and see how it goes up there.I never had much luck bass fishing there cuz it really does seem overfished.Though fishing for cats might be a different story.

4. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    try useing bigger baits,there are nice fish in every body of water,some r just hard to get.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris if your from West Chicago area on route 59, I would suggest you fish the fox river in So. Elgin. Not far from you.

6. Bossofbeefbowl

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    That's really not a bad idea.I really don't know much about river fishing though.I'd definitely have to read up on something like that.I'm certain my bass fishing knowledge won't quite apply there.

7. bhudrei323

bhudrei323 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if you just want to catch some cats, about less than 3lbs, there is a small pond behind the police station in bolingbrook, it is well stocked with channel cats, i was there yesterday when it was raining, i caught like 8 cats in less than 2hrs, 2 over 3lbs, using secret 7.

The nice thing about it is that the side of the lake is bricks so its not muddy, the bad thing about it is that it doesnt have a shade.

if you want to go there let me know. I'd go there as well, it's just like 15 miles from my house.

Another lake that i catch some cats, again nothing bigger than 3lbs, is hidden lakes, also in bolingbrook. It is stocked again last friday, it was being stocked every two weeks.

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Midwest cornfield Boy was forced to relocate to the Western Burbs up that way from the downstate flat lands for his woork.

Cabin fever and lack of much else got him and his family into Bike riding along the old Commercial canals that were cut years ago for commerce in the area.
    Water being water and the chance to fish gave him an Idea.

armed with what was essentially a prospecting rig that resembled a blue gill rig he set out to give it a whirl.

Much to his surprise the water quality and numbers of catchable fish were quite good.
    Not many tropheys but still critters to pull a line tight.
    They fished wads of Night crawlers under a slip bobber and prospected for the "Holes" left over from repairs and barrows that went on over the years.
    He said it was miles of less than productive water that surrounded little pockets of really entertaining fishing. All very excessable and family friendly ..Mostly....

Don't know if this will be of any help on your quest but it might be another "Plan" in your box of tricks if it works out for you.

Good Luck and get after them.

rg

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

Actually, if you have a little understanding of fishing in a current situation (river, tide) then look at it this way, most definitely use your Bass fishing knowledge, just change it from a predator to prey situation. Meaning the big cat and flathead will utilize the same current breaks, structure, drop-offs etc. to "sneak" in on a bass for dinner as that same Bass sets in ambush awaiting his own dinner. In other words, if you can identify where the Bass are setting up then you have also found a Flathead feeding spot :wink: as they also change daily from sunny side to shade, up current to down, tight to cover or suspended etc..... If it looks good try it..............

10. Sir Bors

Sir Bors New Member

State:
    Illinois
    While not west there was a place with excellent fishing north of you. It was on 120 west of Grays Lake. Many years ago it was a KOA then it went private. Now the county owns it, I don't know if it is open for fishing yet since the county took it. I will check it out and let you know.