West Carrolton, Ohio - Does anyone fish below the dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by liveforcattin08, May 22, 2006.

1. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    does anyone fish right up close to the dam, within 50 yards? i fish downstream a little ways but was wondering if anyone fished just below it?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Right up close is a good spot to catch channels when there up in the rocks spawning but other then that, I prefer in the pool or down by the old dam where there is more depth and current.
    I wade fish across that whole area all the time and most of that out just below the dam is about knee deep with exception to the deeper eddy on the WC side where everyone fishes, ( full of snags BTW) I have taken Largemouth up to 5 lbs there and my PB walleye at 29.5" around 8 lbs back in the day when the walleyes were thick in the river instead of "Trasheyes" that are there now.

The pressure at WC amazes me, Im suprised that there are any fish there at all......:sad2:

Salmonid
    PS dont forget about our BOC outing there on June 17th, Hope you can make it!

3. dragon

dragon New Member

State:
    Delphos,Ohio
    I fished that area last year in July and pulled in two flats, one about 5 lbs., and one about 15 lbs. First time I ever caught a flathead. Was using chubs about 4 to 6 inches long. It was a lot of fun catching them. I hope to get back down that way soon. By the way, this is my first post here.

John

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    John welcome to the BOC.West Carrolton is a good spot for channels and flats, i have caught quit a few of both kinds of cats

5. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you are fishing downstream we probably fish the same waters - right up by the dam I haven't had much luck - just a few channels, nothing big

6. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya i fish downstream i was just wondering about right up by the dam