West carrolton dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flatheadsteven, Aug 20, 2007.

1. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    anyone catching any flatheads out of the west carrolton low dam area?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    from what I have noticed, the pressure is up and the catching is down over the last few years in fact I havent heard of any large cats there yet this year.

Have you done any good there this year?, please feel free to PM if you like.
    Salmonid

3. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i fished it alot for a month. i talked to seriously hundreds of people. place gets fished harder then paylakes i bet. but from what i heard and saw . no one keeps anything from there. but it is fished hard. i landed a small 5 or 7 pound one. hooked one i never saw. felt big. but i havn't landed nothing big yet. been wanting to try it again soon though. thers a place where the water flows into. looks like shallow ponds . i thought maybe fish might hold in there . i dont know . i cant buy a fish . i put in work ! and never catch anything ,lol

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    6 lb channel catfish and 18 carp there that was my best this year chicken livers everything else 1 to 2 lbs channels

5. The Joker

The Joker New Member

State:
    ohio
    i caught on 25lbs at todds fork so i think they have been moving a lttle to the west

6. The Joker

The Joker New Member

State:
    ohio
  7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    West carrolton dam is good fishing but you have to go when the pressure is down. A couple times I had the whole place to myself and did very well usually using night crawlers getting channel catfish, largemouth bass and carp. chicken livers usually channel catfish, carp, snappers and bullheads. bluegill and creek chub usually flathead up to 15 lb. not bad rainbow lake is maybe closing also rumor mills said it has been sold. That will increase the pressure on that dam if that happens rainbow stay open lol also i notice the Hutchinson low dam is getting more fishing pressure as well look more like a pay lake than a river now. you all take care

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was at Hutchenson Dam earlier this wek, and there were a bunch of saugeye guys there, granted, high sun, 3 in the afternoon and still snow everywhere and there were still 7-8 of us out there. Only saw 1 "eye" caught and no cats for us.

Salmonid

9. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    salmonoid merry christmas

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I can only talk about the dams on the Muskingum, but if you have low-head dams, there will be catfish under them all winter. (99%) channels. I have fished up in the scour hole all winter over the years. I don't catch fish every time. But when I do connect, they are 5 to 12lb channels on the big side, and lots of 1 to 3 pounders on the small side. They always hit fresh cut shad, and you can fish a whole 8 hour day and they will only hit for about an hour or two, somewhere in the middle, then nothing again. You just have to be fishing when they decide to feed. And once they start hitting you have to maximize your baits in the water. Cause the "feeding frenzy" will only last 90 minutes. It will be at different times of day, different weather conditions, like calm sunny and warmer, or rainy cold and windy, or something in between. Morning, afternoon, or dusk. I know you don't want to spend all day freezing on the river, just to connect for an hour. But if you do it you'll catch more than the guy that leaves after 3 hours.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    if not the shad the chub and other bait fish make the channels so hungry also good place for saugeyes this dam is a friend at church got saugeye 3lbs this fall nice fish