West Carrollton dam in Ohio

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iam20fan, May 31, 2006.

1. iam20fan

iam20fan New Member

State:
    ohio
    where's a good spot for flatheads around the west carrollton dam? fishing from the shore

2. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not to sound like a a-hole, but there isn't one. That place gets way too much pressure and although it holds fish it is not a good bet at all.

If you are serious about catching some fish on the GMR, especially quality fish you will have to do some walking. I would suggest taking a half day with a backpack, a little bait and 1 pole and do some serious scouting. When you find some good spots - keep your mouth shut or it won't be good for long and you will have company regardless of how "remote" you think the spot is.

Good luck!

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Fish N Fool, thats some good advice your offering as many before you have all paid the price and done there own scouting. a couple of my best spots are no real secrets, just away from bridges and where I had to scramble around to get access to a particular stretch and even then, the places Ive cleared off the bank gets used by others and I think, heck, thats my spot, then Im sure someone else got ticked when I showed up and started clearing the spot off, and then I meet others on this board who know about the same spots, small world with many fisherman after the same gold you seek. Best advice is to sew your lips shut after you find a good spot..... Loose Lips is the biggest threat to all our favorite spots!
    Here is some more good advice, the further south you head on the GMR, the better flathead fishing can be if your able to find a good spot. Deeper holes, more water volume, more food and higher numbers of fish.
    Remember, your mileage may vary....:wink:

Salmonid

4. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found the hard part about scouting is flathead fishing can be slow, even in a great hole, hard to have confidence to "wait it out" until you have caught at least one nice cat out of a particular hole - I will end up thinking "am I an idiot, this spot looks good, why aren't there any fish here", found one particular hole I thought looked sweet, 4 trips to it and not a single fish, but darn it, eventually I will stike gold - WC can hold fish at times, don't write that spot off

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jackfish,

Glad you made it. Thanks for coming over, here is some rep for you. You ought to get ahold of Mark & swing by our get to together Saturday.

Fool.... I agree man. The WC Dam does get LOTS of pressure.

6. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    had no choice but to come over, the OGF cat forums have been absolutly dead...longest post I have seen was one about whiskers stinging people? what does rep do exactly?

7. Jackfish

Jackfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon - is the thing on Saterday still going on? there was a post about it but I can't seem to find it now? That outting is was finally spurred me to sign up here.

Tried WC tonight...water was high, my favorite spot was underwater but I fished it anyway, thats what boots are for...only got one good run, and I couldn't close:sad2:

For the event on Sat are people bringing boats or shore fishing?

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jackfish,

Welcome to the BOC. The gathering is still on for the GMR. I believe the post got moved to the gathering forums. You'll find them on the main page.

As for reputation, if you see a post you like, click the button in the top right of the post with the checkmark and x. It is just a way to say you like the post or agree. For all of Bryans rep, I think most of it is just charity. :lol: You know, sometimes you just feel sorry for people and want to help them out. :big_smile: