Wes Watkins for catfish?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Dadoftwo, May 1, 2008.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Does anyone fish Wes Watkins? If so, what areas would be the best to catch some cats?

2. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i'd like to know about wes watkins too. It's only about 15 minutes from my house.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The best thing to do with a new, unexplored body of water is to learn it as best you can. Use old maps and get an idea of the terrain, location of creeks, etc.

The fish are in pre-spawn pattern right now, so find shallow water, less than 5 feet deep. Fish the shallower water all the way up to the bank. I've caught hundreds of catfish in water so shallow that their dorsal fin is waving like a flag.

If there's one thing to remember to make a successful shallow water fishing trip, it's to be as quiet as you can possible be. The fish are spooky.

For baits, use worms and other natural baits. Grasshoppers are a particular favorite when they're available. Commercial baits work for channels too.

4. dennis.p

dennis.p Guest

Hello, new member here. Wes watkins does have some catfish but they're not very big and they're not worth the money it takes to fish in the lake. If you own a boat, you would be a lot better off going to thunderbird, there's a lot of big catfish in that lake, and you don't have to pay to use it. In my opinion for size of fish, thunderbird is the best lake in the OKC area.

5. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    welcome to the boc dennis!

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Dennis: Welcome to the best catfish website in the world!