were to get no roll sinkers or a mold

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by biga, Nov 26, 2007.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    any of you local guys have some no roll sinkers i can buy or trade lead for? or have a mold i can borrow? i have a bunch of clean lead but im out of no rolls so all i have left is egg sinkers and they just dont cut it when the river is rolling!! i need anywere from 3-10 ounce.. thanks...

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a shop here in my town that sells no roll sinker molds.... not quite sure how much they are.. but the its a small little shop with decent prices... I could look for you tomm.. I myself need to get my own mold as well cause i like to fish hard waters and i get snagged alot but i do catch some monsters... But if you would like i can check into this... But 5oz. would be the max..

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You might check ebay for molds, too.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
  5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    getto lol. they dont roll though.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can it a couple of thrift shops and buy several sizes of large spoons. Letting the melted lead solidify in the spoons will make different size no-roll sinkers, but not the kind that have a hole all the way through the middle. With these, you drill a hole in the small end then scrape away the sharp edges with a sharp knife.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It amazes me the lengths some people go to to save spending a measly $30.00 on a good mold. Think of the labor that mold saves you over your lifetime. Not worth the hassle of doing it the 'alternative' way. I'd rather be fishing.

I do understand that not everyone has the extra cash but surely you can muster up enough to get the mold you will need MOST of the time. LABOR, LABOR, LABOR doing it over and over the hard way, drilling holes, hammering etc........:roll_eyes:

Just my opinion. LOL

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The things people do... Truth be told i have used rocks wrapped in hose.. hahaha and thats just one thing i have done when i didnt have the time nor money... Im ghetto too

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Spark plugs make pretty good weights, too. But I'll agree about buying a good mold for the sinkers you use MOST of the time. But I seldom use large no-rolls myself, so it wouldn't pay for me to buy a mold. And when I started using the spoons as a young teenager back in the 1950s, I certainly didn't have the money.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    DOESNT CATFISH CONNECTION HAVE A 6-8 MOLD? i know they have a 1/2-1-1&1/2-2-3 because i got one of those. but im thinking they had a bigger one.

11. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    That is a good sugestion, using the spoons. Sometimes you just gotta use what is handy. I reciently lost a very good friend from the rifle & pistol club to lead poisioning. He was in his late seventies, but had been casting pistol bullets since he was a kid. I will just buy my bullets & sinkers, I have killed enough brain cells already.

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    never thought of the spoon method.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    What if ya just drill one hole, in the spoon and put a nail or something in it which will leave the hole for the sinker? works for me, and it is not a matter of buying somethings for me, I just like to make it all from what I have setting around, (guess I got that from pop who was a tool maker) always said why buy it when ya can make or fix it...LOL guess I'll have to get a pic, I just drilled out the spoon and put a rivet in it but left the nail on it to form the hole, works well. and yes it would be easier to just buy a mold, I have a few of them (mostly jigs and spinners) but not as much fun LOL.

14. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I make my Molds out of sheet rock. I use a router to cut out the tear drop shape to the size I want & depth. Set a cut piece of wire clothes hanger in a 1/8" groove cut on each side to haft the depth. Pour in lead, let cool , use pliers to twist and pull out wire. I started doing this because I wasn't able to find a mold larger than 5 oz.

15. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    maybe if u put some pam or some other nonstick pan spray on the spoon would this work?

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well then I guess I have to throw all the ones away I already have? :eek:oooh: And why not? they lift right off of it, turn it upside down and tap the bench they fall right out....... some of them you have to clean up, but some of my molds you have to clean up also......?

17. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well they are for the most part flat on top and well spoon shaped on the other side.... I'll take a pic of some next day or so and put it up.

they work just fine, never weighed one but would guess that a T-spoon is around 3-4 oz. not sure they are enough for what I fish.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    To get sinkers to release, coat the mold, whatever type your using, with candle soot. I prefer to light my acetylene torch and put a heavy coating of soot on the molds... candles take too long. But it is better than the other stuff being mentioned. I like Barlow's for mold supplies...about the cheapest I have found and they stock the same molds. If your interested in larger molds, look at the do-it-mold website. I believe they also sell blank molds that you can take to a machine shop and have whatever you want made so you can pour it with lead, or you can fashion it yourself.

19. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    My wieghts look like no roll sinker just the edges are not as round as store bought molds. Here is the only pic I could find of one right now I'll have to get some more pics. The one in the pic is 3 oz. The cat was 8 lb LOL

Attached Files:

20. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Adam, I just ordered a 6 and 8 oz no-roll sinker mold. Should be here around Friday or so. You could talk to JW...he is planning a sinker making party in the near future.