Were to catch the larger SHAD?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by nightowl, Oct 10, 2008.

1. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    I fish primarly with shad as bait and never have any problem catching enough to fish with the problem that i do have is catching larger shad (2 1/2" to 5" long). I normaly catch my bait either in the mouth of feeder creaks or on the edge of sand bars. I fish the Mississippi river nearly every trip out. I was just wondering if you guys could point me into a differt direction and maybe put me on some bigger bait. thanks

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

when i snaged shad at our pier i would catch shad that would dob the pole like a small striper.......

always at the bottem and at one side that was deeper so id say try the bottem around brush or crap

the biggest was 8 in and weighed like 1/2 lb

i was nice and let him go becasue he had 12-15 scares from dodgeing trebles :wink: that was the least i could do :smile2:

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have had luck catching the bigger ones next walls below dam outlets and along the the bank in these same areas. they have produced up to 12 and 14inchers. Try slack water or very little current in these areas.

4. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Morgan I dont know much about the Mighty Mississippi but here in NC on the Catawba I go to the tailrace right up next to the dams and use a dip net to get the big ones 10-15 inches. The 3-5 inchers I normally catch in the back of the feeder creeks in muddy water near laydowns. Hope this helps.

Shane

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Here on West Point Lake I usually catch the big gizzard shad up the river back in the pockets around blow downs or weeds.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great advice. I have never been able to find the big ones consistently

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

me neither!!!!!!!!!! the smaller ones around here are more active

when i go for size i clip the fins off and usually get more then bigger :confused2:

IF IT TUGS A POLE ITS A GOOD CATCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink: