Were does the ice go?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by CANCATCHCATS, Jan 17, 2010.

1. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I was told along time ago when it warms up the ice starts to melt and gets heavey and sinks.
    Others say it has to run out.
    Anyone have an opinion on this subject. Better yet does anyone know.
    By the way this mornning the Missouri was clear at Chamois 118 maybe a chunk here or there.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't know why ice would ever sink, never heard of that one. I checked the Missouri today on a long road trip spawned out of boredom. The Missouri is clear everywhere I checked except for an occassional piece here and there. I checked almost all the way to the confluence with the Mississippi. The Mississippi (at least in the pools) is still really ice choked.

I'd be fishing tomorrow but my daughter is having my first grandaughter tomorrow. She's in KC but I don't want to be on the river and possibly out of cell phone range when the news is delivered.

3. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    If frozen water would sink than lakes would freeze from the bottom up!

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I always thought it just plain melted

5. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    me to. very good question asked for sure. id like to know the correct answer myself.

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I thought it just melted and the water level raised a little..

7. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    ecoming a grandpa is about the only good reason to miss a day of fishing. CONGRAT"S TO YOU GRANDPA SkipEyE!!!

8. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Yeah I've always been a believer in the "melting" theory myself too, LOL. But if it's 15 below outside what temp is the snow on the ground 15 below or 32 ???

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I predict that after skipeye becomes a grandpa that the ice magically will disappear! Congrats skippy!!!!

10. CANCATCHCATS

CANCATCHCATS New Member

State:
    MISSOURI

Hope everthing goes well with your daughter and grandughter.
    This is truely a special time for you and your family.

As for as the mystery to were the ice goes.
    I think the melting theory makes some sence butttt thats alota ice to melt fo fast.
    Here is something i read on goggle.
    The density of water increase until 4 degrees celsius (which I believe is 36 degrees) At this point it starts to decress. As a result the ice is lighter and willl float on water. Water is one of the few things that become lighter the colder it becomes. When the ice starts to melt the temperture raises to the 4 dgreee point(36 dgrees)and it starts to sink into the surrounding water.
    Now I am not saying this right I have read things on goggle that I know is bull.
    Have a great day Grandpa!

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Ditto,ice won't sink due to the trapped air inside.Cold water is denser than warmer water-thats why we have the fall turnover-surface water cools faster in the fall,and reaches a point where it's heavier than the water under the thermocline.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    You guys have it all wrong....
    All the ice gets gathered up by the ice filters that ice companies have in the rivers and lakes.....It gets broken up and washed. and made into those ice cubes you buy in bags at the store or the gas station.
    Ah, but,...... I hear you saying, ........what about in summer?? Well in summer they send it down from the Arctic on the secret, underground ice conveyor.
    Jeeze, you don't think they have a giant fridge with a giant ice maker chunking it out do you??:eyeroll::eyeroll:
    ...W

13. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    lol by golly yes we do. just kiddn.

14. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city

thats what i always thought too.... lol

good post i always thought it just melted or floated down to the mississippi so someone else had to worry about it

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Ice always floats because it's less dense than water. We all know that water expands as it freezes, and as it expands it becomes less dense.

It's also true that liquid water becomes more dense as it cools, at least until it reaches around 39.2 degrees fahrenheit. Then a funny thing happens, the density starts to decrease again, This is why, as someone already said, that ice forms on the surface rather than forming on the bottom and floating up. The 32 degree, ready to freeze water will always float above water that is a few degrees warmer.

All of which then works into the hands of the ice companies, as Winston explained.

16. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I guess the truth is finally exposed. It was a secret for a long time. Cats out of the bag now

17. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I think some of the ice melts and some of it is just carried down stream. Kansas City is about 340 river miles from St. louis. If the river averaged 5 mph it would take the ice about 60 hours to go from KC to STL. so about 2 1/2 days.

18. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    :quiet:
    But would take much longer if it went the slow way:quiet:...W

19. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great thread! I have been not so much wondering where it goes, but how far it goes. How far down the Mississippi does it make it