Were do you get skipjack?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by whampas_cat, Jan 26, 2006.

1. whampas_cat

whampas_cat New Member

State:
    Wharton Texas
    I have heard of yall using skipjack for bait, but I have no clue on were and how to get them. I live down in Houston do you think I can find them down here? Thanks for any info.
    Steven

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here in middle Tn we catch skips in the warm water discharge of power plants. During the warmer months skips can be caught below the hydro electric dams. I would think that any dam that had regular releases of water, skips could be caught, provided that they are in that particular body of water. Most use a sabiki rig, small spoons or crappie jigs to catch skipjack.

3. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I maybe wrong but I don't thing we have them here. But blue gill is fairly easy to come by.

4. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hey bam i live here in lebanon do u know of any good places i can access from the bank or wat dams are good to fish below case im not havin much luck from the bank my buddy that had a boat i went with moved to ky so im a bank man now and we catch skips at cordell hull dam

5. Slimer13

Slimer13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I buy big saltwater shad from Galveston or Surfside that have just come off the boat. They work great and are very oily. Bayou Baits in Galveston usually has some of the best. Very simular to your lake shad.
    Hope this helps.