were are the flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by matt, Sep 22, 2005.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    Were are the flatheads at night and what do that like to hang out at.
    what is the best bait for flatheads. Are they at top or bottom, or near to bank or deeper water.

2. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    they come in shallow water in search of baitfish. This does not mean there will not be any in deeper water though.

3. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I fish the big rivers for the flatheads this is one thing i do have a lot of experience on. I been bank fishing the mississipi for them for over 10 years, but I have also fished smaller rivers. the mississip by st louis dosn/t have many log jams but a lot of smaller rivers do.If you can find a log jam by a deep hole that would be a great spot . If you can find a deep hole close to shore fish in the hole during daylight hours.About a hour before dark all during the night and a after daylight fish between the shore and the hole. If it/s raining or real cloudy, in the daytime ,try fishing in the hole and around it . Now for the bait. A flat head will eat almost any thin alive smaller than itself Some people use shad herring goldfish ect. They all work but let me tell you my favorite bait I believe the official name is warmouth bass, we call them rock bass around the st louis area . If you got them in your area use them, if not just use bluegils they work almost as good. Catch the biggest ones possible hand size is great . A small 10 pound flattie can easily eat a big bluegil . The bigger one/s are a lot easier for the flatties to find. Next make sure you slit their stomachs, it gets that blood scent in the water and they will usuall stay alive all night with their stomachs slit . Some people cut off their tails and fins, they say it stops them from getting under rocks, makes scence but I don/t do it. I fell it slows their activity down . Most hook them in the back i don/t I like to hook them in the mouth between the nostroils in that hard cartrige area Look in the flat head section I seen some real good advice there. catching a monster flathead is great,good luck

4. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    Thank that will help me out a lot. Will they bite bacon?

5. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I guess under the right conditions they would bite bacon. Flatheads are live bait eaters. I have caught several on dead shad and bluegils but I use the whole fish in heavy current and it probaly looks alive .I have also caught channels and blues with bluegils while fishing with them you can never go wrong using bluegils.I seen a infisherman show where he was catching one after another in the daytime on a smallriver using cutbait next to a log jam. The trick is to get it in their face and they can/t resist it.

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I've never heard of using bacon until I joined the BOC. Some brothers on here have had good luck using it. If you haven't been getting much, its worth a try.

7. JimmiMallo

JimmiMallo New Member

I've caught some channels on bacon but mostly small ones. Seems like the big cats regardless of species want baitfish be it live or mashed up.

8. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    How big of minnow do i need to use and hook?

9. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Depends on what size fish you are going for. If you want to hook into a big'un i would use a 7/0 or 6/0(its really your choice). The bigger the bait the better and i didnt see anyone say anything about this they may have i might have overlooked it but the beast bait for caits are bream or sunfish or whatever you call them in your neck of the woods those puls smaller cats they will tear them up.Find you a log jam and fish all around it with a live bream or cat you should have some luck. I know that smaller cats eat worms and other typical cat baits when they are small but as they get bigger its nothing but live bait. Hope this helps

10. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Matt you asked a great question.... I typically use 4"-7" gills. I also use cut bait. Ive caught some very nice flatties (40+ lbs) on cut bait. Mix it up bud and find something your confident with. Good luck