Went to the Cape Fear for the first time

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by breadboy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yesterday, me and my dad went to the cape fear river for the first time. It was mostly looking for spots, and a little fishing. My dad got a bite, and the fish didn't get hooked. Then, on my slip float rig took off, and I set the hook. WOW. This was pretty good size fish. IT gets up to the boat and it is a gar that is 4 feet long. We weighed it, 10.5 pounds. I took some pictures, but they are on a throw away camera with 20 pictures left :angry: . We used cut eel. holy moly those eels are hard to grab! I had to use my forceps and lock on to its tail. Anyone know how to get a hold of those things? The eels were about a foot long, some about 18 inches! Big guys. Where do you guys catch shad in the fayetteville area?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Wow thats a big gar fish. As for grabbing the eels I would use a rag, it helps a lot.

3. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    sounds like pretty good fun man, i been wanting to catch a gar myself, yea i feel ya on those eels, they definately tough to get ahold of, im gonna be heading out to the cape this weekend hopefully, I FINALLY got a weekend off as of right now, i havnt been out there fishing in a while. your bet for shad is gonna be Jordon or Harris lake i would imagine. Im sure one of the guru's around here will chime in with alittle better info.

4. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thanks for the tip, I'll bring a rag next time.

5. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    have a small buicket of sand of a small rag will work for eels. where on capoe fear where you. if like come to e town and we can try something. ok

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    yea a rag will work or if your using them as cut bait get a plastic filet board from wally world about 8 bucks. The plastic filet boards have one heck of a spring clamp on them...

You put the eels head under that clamp and it will stop moving.....

congrats on the big gar...

7. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey blaze long time no see. beent rying to get on here more and will be now. we should all get together soon. ok

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the help and replies. we launched out of riverside's launch, and went upstream aways. Are there really rapids upstream about 4 miles from riverside? The guy at the baitshop said it goes from 9 feet straight to 3 feet. We were fishing in about 13 feet of water, trying spots where the water was slack. If I can get the pics up of the gar, I will. Have you guys had carp jump in front of your boat? We had a few jump right next to the boat :lol: .

9. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats on the gar fish!! When i use eels i put them in a mesh bag and then i have a bucket with some ice ( i freeze a half gallon milk jug of water) put a piece of newspaper over the ice and lay the mesh bag with the eels in it.They become very lathargic and u can pick them up easy with a rag (they almost act dead) as soon as they hit the water though they come back to life. Works great for me!! Good luck on your fishing :big_smile:

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thought I could add something new to this thread, but Tammie beat me to it. Use a rag and ice them eels down. Then they wont twist all around. Also, get then into the water right away after hooking them. They can wrap around your line so tight it's impossable to free them up.

11. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That sounds like a good idea! I will ice a few eels next time out.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Joe0850 falls coming soon and the idiots will be gone from down there

will hook up soon....if by chance you can get up here we can hook up and fish were going just about every weekend....

yes Kyle there are rapids up stream and there is also a submerged old dam that runs the across the river......of course it depends on the water level but i have seen it where it was only a foot under the surface...don't quote me but I think it's a couple miles past the 258 bridge....

Maybe someone else will chime in and help you locate that dam...you don't want to find it by accident..

If your not careful you will tear your boat apart....

It is good fishing there because the dam creates a current break.

good luck!:smile2:

13. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    yea blaze, its just past the 258 bridge, I was told dont go past that bridge to be safe. and your right, was also told it comes up just below the water surface, also bread boy, not sure if you know, but when you head up that way from riverside, i believe its the first bridge, there is a really shallow sand bar that comes out from the left with a creek mouth there also, you need to hug the right side bank coming out from under that bridge. also I have had a couple good nites fishing that sand bar, just have to fish it really late cuz of all the boat traffic coming back and forth to ramp, and the passage way being so narrow cuz of the sand bar.

14. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeah, we found that out lol, the sandbar. the creek washed out silt and makes it very shallow. thanks for the help guys.

15. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Haha, Yea I Found That Thing Too The Hard Way Before I Bought The Depth Finder, I Was Churning Up All Kinds Of Mud And Stuff, Haha, Glad I Could Help A Little Bit, But Yea I Have Caught Some Really Nice Channels Off That Sand Bar And Up Against The Bank On The Right Side

16. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    yeah we got a depthfinder. We were going at a moderate speed and i was like what is that and then oh crap thats the bottom :crazy: . then we had to stop and drift out of the shallow area back into the normally depths. i guess we might try that area too sometime.

17. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Breadboy, Hunter is dead on. That is an excellent spot for night time fishing get up above it (the sand bar) and cast back down on the edge of the sand bar...we have been fishing there and heard BIG cats chasing bait on that sand bar and we have caught cats off that sand bar...