Went to Old Hickory this evening

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 01ssrms, Sep 18, 2009.

1. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    We went to the Avondale boat ramp this evening and thought I would pass along a report. We had a little better luck than we have had lately. No big fish, but a total of 6 or 7 channel cats in the 12"-16" range and 1 drum near 20". I had one monster hit on a live bluegill on a bobber. Saw the bobber start jerking around in a circle and then it dropped and the 20 yards of slack in the line were zipping out quick. Met it with the reel and felt a good fish, but it was able to spit the bluegill without getting hooked. Got the blood pumping though. It was fairly light out so hard to say if it was a bass or cat, though the fact that it pulled down and was running might point to a cat. The bluegill was approximately 5" to give a reference. Got rained out about 9pm as a thunderstorm moved in. Anyone else make it out in the break in the rain the last two evenings?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had to stay home and take care of the family as they have been ill, thanks for sharing the report Ross, yeah the same kinda strike happened to me on a bobber fishing down at cedar creek. Zipped straight off to the weedbed on the bank and broke off. I have a feeling its a big blue. Keep us posted on the fish, I hopefully will be able to make it back out in the next couple weeks.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good report..Your gonna have to tell me more about this Avondale area though Ross,never been there..Yeah we've had a low pressure system over the area and I bet that really had the fish biting..I haven't been out since last weekend over @ Shutes and it didn't go too well..I've been getting some bites on creek chubs though a lot better than any other bait..I'll be busy tomorrow working on the boat and not sure if I'll make it out Sunday,maybe if the weather holds out and hopefully in the boat..

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Keep me posted on the boat Les, hopefully when it's fixed we can arrange a trip I'll help out with gas.

5. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    I was thinking the same thing about the weather turning them on Les so I went out on Thursday to check out the Avondale spot I had seen. I didn't have much luck, but it's a nice little park that has potential. It's right on the outer edge of a sharp bend in the lake and there is a little inlet with a boat ramp similar to that other spot in Gallatin that we tried. This spot is closer to the channel though and with a good cast you can get to 15-20' of water. There are also 2 or 3 fish attractor buoys in the inlet. Seems to be plenty of bait fish activity too. So my friend Tim and I went back out there for our Friday night trip.

I thought maybe we would have better luck than we did, but I think maybe the fish were out a little further. The water level had dropped around 2 feet from Thursday to Friday and I think maybe this had a "sucking" effect on the fish. The river current that pushed up into that inlet when the water was up was now pulling out. The bite was really picking up as it got later in the evening, but a light rain that was tolerable turned for the worse and we called it a night.

We were fishing with chicken liver, nightcrawler, and various states of bluegill(live and cut) Caught 5 channels on liver, 1 channel and the drum on worm, and got a few really good hits on the bluegill but nothing hooked.

6. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I got the boat repaired and all seems well..Still have a lot of work to do on it..It needs a new floor badly and I gotta start rounding up the bells and whistles like troll motor and depth finder but its still can get in the water without that stuff..May go out tomorrow if the weather is ok..

7. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I went out Staurday Night jug fishing with skipjack, put in at Blowed out Bridge off 231 south in Lebanon. Caught three channels with a total weight of 35 pounds. Had to leave around midnight due to rain.

8. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    there is a trail through the woods to the right of the boat ramp that will take you out to the main channel. I have caught alot of cats out there.

9. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I have always caught cats on Old Hickory, I put in at Davis Corner off Hwy 109. Skipjack on jugs and pole all night long.

10. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Welcome Josh,

Are you talking about blowed out bridge (Cedar Creek)? If you are the path is to the left of the boat ramp.

11. festus

festus New Member

Has anyone fished around Belote's Bend on Old Hickory? One day I gave an old gentleman a ride home from an old country store between Hartsville and Gallatin. He owned a farm out there and invited me to fish there anytime I wanted, but I never got around to it. His last name was Belote. I checked one of my TVA quad maps, and apparently this area was named after his ancestors.

12. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Never fished there but I have heard that Belotes Ferry is a good spot.

13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the report.

14. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, that's been at least 30 years ago, and if that old man was still alive, he'd probably be 110 years old. About all I can remember was driving from Hartsville toward Gallatin, we cut onto some country road to the right and drove out to his farm. It was an awesome place. I moved out of the middle TN area shortly thereafter and didn't get a chance to follow through, but was told by some co-workers it was a good spot.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Never heard of it Festus..

16. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    catmanaj, good work taking care of the family. The fish will always be here, family is the most important.

17. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Went back out to Avondale this evening. Was an interesting trip, instead of fishing around the ramp we hiked out to the point thinking we could get to some deeper water. I had caught a few gizzard shad around the dock so I thought I'd throw the cast net and get some bait. I caught the motherload in one toss, atleast 100 yellow fin shad, 10-20 small gizzard shad and 2 gizzards over 6 inches. Oh, and a largemouth bass about 12", lol. 2 guys nearby on a bass boat came by to check it out. We ended up catching a few fish, no monsters, but a little bigger than we were catching on the dock. I caught one 3lb channel and another between 1 and 2 lbs. My buddy Tim caught a smallmouth, 2 smaller channels and a bluegill. We had 6 lines out, 4 with shad and 2 with chicken liver and all cats were caught on the liver. Really wish we had some skipjack, but we haven't been down below the dam in a while. I did have one good hit on a piece of cut gizzard, but he just popped it and never came back to eat. The bait was still on when I reeled in 15 minutes later.

18. festus

festus New Member

Well Ross, you caught yourself plenty of bait and enough fish to make it interesting and the trip worthwhile.

19. festus

festus New Member

It's in Castalian Springs, Les. Look at the two maps, you probably could find it very easily. However, it's on the opposite side of Hwy 25 than I remembered.

20. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Ok yes I know where thats at..Never fished there though..