went to my surgeon today

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 1, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a meeting with my surgeon today, I told him I was not improving, and I told him I wanted the surgery, because I have fish to catch:roll_eyes:

He laughed and said it was a mirical I was even walking consideiring the size of one of the herniated disk.

He said I had 2 options

one was fusion, and the other was just where they remove the bad part of the disk, laminctomy I think.

I told him I did not want fusion, so I will be having the other surgery next week...thanks for all the prayers, and keep them coming, I thank all of you.

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i hope everything works out for the best jack.

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Praying for a speedy recovery, would enjoy spending a night on the water with ya buddy!

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Hiope you come out alright buddy!!

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Sure hope everything goes good and you are back on the water soon. My Doc says I'm not ready for surgery yet and mine is a birth defect. I told him I AM a birth defect Doc! Anyway hope all goes good.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think you'll be fine if you use your head afterwards.
    I know I do some things I shouldnt some times but I dont go out my way to find ways to screw my back up again.
    Worst two things for the back is riding in a car and sitting in a chair.

Be willing to walk away from something. No, I need some help or It's not worth the risk.

Probally the best thing that has helped me is my friends.
    They saw me before surgery and the shape I was in and they see me now.
    They like now better and will literally push me off of something to keep me from having a stupid moment. "Get out of the way, I'll get it"

Sounds like you are very close to a rupture. Take it real easy until you get on the table:wink:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You made the right choice!!! I had no choice but the fusion on mine and you see how I am now. You should be out of the hospital in less than a day. Best of Luck to you Brother. I KNOW the pain!!! I have 15 days before I see my Neurosurgeon and its gonna seem like an Eternity!!! I just hope they can do both surgeries at the same time!!! I hope my Neurologist reads my report and says he!! he's got 3 broken Vertebrae, he has to get in sooner!!! I can hope and Pray anyway!!!
    If you need to talk, PM me and let me know to call you, I can never get you....:confused2:

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Still prayin for ya Jack and John. I know it sucks when you cant go fishin. On the bright side, you will have even more patience when you do get back out.:big_smile: Take your time, the fish should still be there when you get better.

9. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good luck with the surgery. I have two herniated disk in my back and the doctor said he cant do anything about it and told me to take ibuprofen.

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Hoping all goes well for ya Jack and ya have a speedy recovery.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, I hope all goes well for you and you are back out chasing these fish we both respect and love! You are winning in the flathunter v.s rollo contest still, I would like for you to send me an address, You may get a couple of hats or shirts from me, not just from if you win, but to let you know that I respect people like you that have the passion towards this sport like me!! goodluck, and hope all goes good! maybe we will meet on the water someday!....... rollo

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jack, Best of luck with the surgery and for a speedy recovery. You'll be out and chasing those Ohio flatheads again in no time.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Prayers sent from Nevada.

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Sure I will send my prayers ; ) I wish you and speedy recovery also. Like mentioned already, take good care of yourself after the surgery, its really important.

G'luck
    -Jim-

15. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    My thoughts are with you and hope the surgery does you good. The brothers on here all give good advice and having no back problems <yet> I consider myself lucky. Won't it be joy to have little or no pain? That is what you need to focus on. Good luck again.

16. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    good luck with the surgery jack hope all goes well the sciota river aint looking to good any way by the time your ready to go fishing river should be good shape prayers to ya wish ya a speedy recovery

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Good luck with the Surgery Jack, aint much to worry about, Ive had two of em so far, Facing fusion if I mess this one up LOL. First one lasted 8 years, just had this 2nd one last year and so far so good. Just watch what you do. it doesnt take much to blow one out again. just enjoy the recovery, its not too bad. Mac

18. RIVERRUNT

RIVERRUNT New Member

State:
    reynoldsburg ohio
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SURGERY AND HAVE A SPEEDY RECOVERY.MAYBE WE CAN WET A LINE ON OUR FAVORITE RIVER THE SCIOTO SOME TIME

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    My prayers are going out to you brother, let us know how things go. How long will that keep you down. I can imagine that the knife will keep you down for a few days, unless they can do some of that laser surgery.

God Bless

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The knife in this surgery is nothing.
    When I came out of recovery and was wheeled to a room by an orderly I got off the gurney and got into bed. I had just been cut on for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
    The incision to do L-4 L-5 in my back was an inch or less long.
    I never took the first pain pill.
    The nurses were begging me to take a pill. I finally told them I know what pain is and this aint it. Can you slide over that way a little bit so I can see the TV?
    What I was feeling was a tightness in my lower back. Felt like they had stitched me together pulling the skin too tight. No pain, it just felt tight.

These surgeries have come a long way in the last decade or so.
    It used to be that this procedure would have put you in the hospital for a week or more. Now, its a 23 hour stay. Not even an admittance.