Went to local bait shop today and got surprised!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Sunburn, May 28, 2008.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    Bought some flat river sinkers and was talking to the guy that runs the little shop and said I didn't hear his minnow tanks running and asked what was up? He said he didn't have any live bait and wasn't sure when or even if he was gonna get any more. Said the high fuel surcharges being placed upon the buyers by the shippers was about to kill him. I think this is just another very small example of the trouble we're going to see in this country over these fuel prices. Diesel for my pickup here is $4.93. Ouch! Are you guys seeing things like this bait shop where you live also??

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i dont know if it has anything to do with gas prices but there i a bait store here in my area that is charging 18 bucks for a pound of goldfish when it was only 9 bucks last year

3. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    man, thats a punch in the face isnt it? the whole high fuel prices are for that matter...dont get me started! :angry:. I havnt noticed anything latly but I also havnt bought live bait yet this year, ill have to keep an eye out.

4. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Creek chubs went from 8 to 15 dollars a dozen this year at the local bait store. I didn't they were a petroleum product.lol

5. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    couldn't tell you. can't afford to buy it so i catch my own.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I catch my own too but alot of people depend on them to go fishin. Its not only bait that will go up, everything will. I get most of my tackle on-line and that helps some but just the gas to get to the water is hurtin. Things will get real ugly if something isnt figured out. Sad to think about it really.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If things dont change next year we wont be talking about fishing.

We will be talking about how to buy food or anything else we need to survive.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i usually catch my own too.but yeah,if it don't change,heck,we might not be talkin on here at all.we might have to ditch the internet..........

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Thank You Fed & Local Goverments for all that they do....RRRRRRR!!!!!!!

All 3 of our presidential canidates want EVEN HIGHER Prices by the CO2 Myth/Man Made Global Warming and taxing it or by raising the price to do busness on the Oil Co. (even more higher taxes) and still the Libs don't want use to have a drop more of OUR OWN OIL.....RRrrrr.

You that vote for them ....he hee!!!

:beat_brick::beat_brick::beat_brick:

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    the little bait stand/store in three rivers by choke canyon went out of business already too, and he's been there for years!!! I didnt get to talk to him before he closed, but the last time we were there when he was open, he wasnt too happy & said he probably wouldnt be able to be there too much longer!! very sad

11. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Awe, that makes me sad, poor guy! I'm fortunate enough to catch my own bait, all I need, and to live 1/4 from the lake.

If the gas prices don't go down, I may have to start eating fish!

It costs me ten bucks to drive to the nearest town (Waynesville does not count!). I honestly don't know what country folks are going to do.

We don't have the option of public transit, and I can't ride my bike 15 miles to work.

I've cut out everything I can, they arent going to take fishing from me!

I don't have female friends, and don't go to the beauty shop or that kind of crap, but I'm just wondering (a question for you married men) are the wives still getting nails and hair cuts and color? Tans? Who the hell can afford that?

I'm lucky if I can afford to splurge for a coca cola to take fishing with me. Something is going to have to happen, and quick.

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I never got bait from him, I catch my own! But my father in law on the other hand just liked buying from the guy cuz he had free coffee on the way to the lake, and you know how old timers are bout talking and what not!!
    To answer your other question, my wife does her own hair and has done for years, and her nails too. She also lays out on the back deck instead of looking for a tanning salon, so we dont have to worry there. But yes, something has to give and soon....
    Btw, have you seen Skip's flathead he caught, you might want to hit the river some more.....................:wink:

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yet another 48 cents per gal. ????

Next week the Libs r looking at adding even more to the price of a gal. of fuel!! I can't link it but google the "Warner Lieberman Bill".

"Oh yes they really care about this country...LOL!!

:angry_2:

14. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not to be a jerk or anything but I don't think you can really blame the liberals for what is happening now. I am not a Democrat or Republican, and I think there is just as much BS going on with both parties, but republicans had full control of all parts of government for four years, then just enough control of government to block anything they wanted for the next four years ... if someone is going to get blamed they should be the ones. Honestly who stands to profit more than the President himself and his buddies from high oil prices? They say that 40% of the money going to the war is being given to private reconstruction companies, and of course they don't have to pay taxes on that money. We don't need to pay more in taxes, we just need to start spending the taxes here in America instead of putting it in to private billionaires hands. At this point I don't care what they spend our taxes on as long as they are spending it on us Americans. Sorry for the mini-rant.

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Naaa, some wild eyed liberal would invent another one.:wink:

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Kit

Yes u r right n I too am mad has heck about them thar low down Republicans too not doing the right thing.

Sorry but anytime the Bills come up for us to retreive more of OUR OWN less expensive oil or refine it here the Libs n the Republicans vote right down a party line. Along with building the nuke plants we need so we can clean up our water some.

The next vote on the "Warner Lieberman Bill" will b the same again.....anybody want to bet their first born??

17. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I haven't seen bait shops stop selling bait but I know my wallet is taking a beating just going to the water. It's a shame the place this oil predicament is starting to take our country. I hope we are planning on becoming self sufficient. The oil over in the middle east is running out and thats why everyone is getting gouged on the price. I suppose when it completely runs out and a hamburger costs $20.00 I'll take my poles and head to the river, set up camp and live off the land. :big_smile:

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I see it all over,and afraid its going to get worse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:oooh::angry:

19. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Sorry no one is running out. The USA has enough for itself and others for a VERY long time. Our goverment just made it illegal by whatever means to get here and refine it here so 60% of what we use comes from outside of the USA.

Other Myths: MAN MADE global warming/Freon fluorocarbon damaging the upper atmosphere etc etc.

:smile2:

:smile2:

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

Even if they do retrieve that oil would it really save us money? Wouldn't they just give a contract to some company who will sell it to us for the same amount and we will end up paying $4.00 a gallon for our own oil?

On a side note my Mom is the first person on her side of the family born outside of Texas, and I had family in the oil business. Personally I think all US oil should belong to the citizens of the US and not the individual who buys the land on top of it. That is another topic and my own personal thing though :_)