Went to LBL & Kentucky Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by DeerHunter01, Nov 7, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well yesterday me and a buddy of mine went down to LBL and Kentucky lake as well as Barkley lake for a drive, he was here deer hunting and filled his deer tags on Saturday so we took off and went for a drive.

While there we got to see some of the Elk and Bison on LBL, I will attach a few photo's of the trip yesterday.

We had stopped in at Kentucky Dam and Barkley Dam and spoke to a few fishermen about the skip jack there, they have been dead for a few weeks on the skip jack, there is several shad in but the skip jack are not showing up yet, one guy I talked to said this was the worst season he has been there fishing for skips.

I spoke to Ken at Ken's bait shop and he advised me that he is out of skips and no one has brought any into him for about a month. the water below both dams are high, at Kentucky dam you can not see the walk way or the big drum that we stand on to fish. Its all under water.

At Barkley its up to the side walk that goes along the shore line. a few boats were in at the dam tight up against the walls but no one was doing any good.

Attached Files:

2. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks D H. I was planning on going down there on thurs. Change of plans. Thanks again Darryl

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great pics!!! Thanks for sharing!

4. Floyd

Floyd New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Maybe a Skippy Report thread is in order? Thanks for sharing..

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Great pictures DH. I'll be fishing Devils Elbow on Lake Barkley this afternoon and tonight, alot of times the skipjack are active on the main lake even though they arent below the dams. Will post tomorrow on how we do.

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great pictures Eric.thx for posting.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good to see elk back in ky to bad they aint state wide , thanks dh for sharing pics

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    This has been a horrible year for skips. I normally catch anywhere from 30-80 everytime over for a trip but this year has been scarce for the skips. Hopefully next year will be better. I guess even the local skipjack experts are not catching them either.LOL. I know Ken had a guy keeping them stock piled. He said he could catch them year round, just not this year.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    They have been hard to catch up here on the Ohio all year. I have only caught a handful of nice ones. I have fished for them probably a total of 50 hours this year and have caught 8-9 real nice ones. My dad goes out crappie fishing the other day and catches 13 with minnows in a brushpile in a creek. at least he saved them for me :big_smile:

and dh, i don't know if i could go to kentucky lake and not crappie fish-that had to be a killer!