Went to Kansas River last night.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by biglope, Aug 14, 2009.

1. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I did not catch a single one. This is the second week in a row with out one. 3 Weeks ago I brought out 60+ pounds of fish in 3 hours.

But last night something different happened. The river was way down and it does not seem they come into the bank at all when it is down. So I decided to throw out into the middle of the current. With live bait and cut bait. Figured I try it since there is 14 pages of people talking about how they fish fast water for Flats with cut. Did not get one still. I was getting ready to leave and bam clicker started screaming. It was a 16lb Blue cat. And this was on a live gill.

I got two more runs but was to far from the pole by the time I got there, they already let go of the bait.

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Glad to hear that you caught something, where on the Kaw were you fishing?

3. biglope

biglope New Member

State:
    Kansas
    in the desoto area

4. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    congrats.

Blues are notorious for snatch and grab then let it go. When that happen just let it set a lot of the time they will come right back to it.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Glad you hooked into something. Nothing here in se ohio for past two weeks. Bite slow an turtles going crazy. Fish on my friend an good luck!

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah those are some disappointing trips but theirs always nexttime! :big_smile::wink:

7. cgriffith

cgriffith New Member

State:
    Kansas
    in the last few weeks, we have caught a number of nice blues fishing for flats with live bluegills on... a few nice channels as well. All on the Kansas... More blues and channels than flats! Found it kind of odd...

8. Robby Robinson

Robby Robinson New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Matt,

I feel like some folks have to high expectations for catching flathead. They often go weeks without feeding.

The blues and channel cats will often cooperate better.