Went to humbug cove this morning.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MichaelP, Jul 21, 2008.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Decided to go out to Lake Pleasant this morning to see if I could catch a few fish. Caught a carp right off the bat using a prepared carp bait I got at wallyworld. It was about 5 lbs and volunteered for bait duty. Fished all day long and didnt get a bite. Fish were pretty active though, the stripers are at it all over the lake and I saw a BUNCH of largemouth bass fry all over the place. The sun was down, and I hadnt got anything so I decided to reel it in and call it a night. I picked up my pole and started reeling when I thought it was snagged. I gave it a few good jerks out of angst at being hung up right as I was leaving, when all of the sudden the pole nearly got yanked out of my hands. I tightened the drag as far as I could, but it didnt slow this fish down at all. The fish did a run straight away with about 50 ft of my 45 lb braid and then proceeded with the flathead left turn into the sticks and got wrapped up. I gave it some slack hoping, but it was no use. Whatever it was hung up on wasnt too deep as it came to the surface a few times sounding like a kid doing a cannonball before *plink* that slack line we all dread.
    There are some really really big fish in Pleasant.

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have not made it there yet, don't you love it when a little something at the end of your day charges you up to do the same area again, that is fishing, and it made your day.

3. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That'll get the heart pumpin!! It sounds like Pleasant is alive right now. Did you see any boils for that fun top water action??

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good fishing hole, When you going back to catch that fish

5. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Saw all types of fish jumping, even a carp doing a a backflip. Ive always wondered why they do that. Maybe a 60 lb flathead chasing them. Lol.

6. dhilltop2000

dhilltop2000 New Member

State:
    New River, Arizona
    Did you use the 5lb carp as cut-bait or whole? That would be a heck of a fish to suck down a 5lb carp whole.

7. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    No, I just cut the head off and used it.. I always have to say "allah akbar" while doing it.:smile2: