went to hawesville

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by russ, Dec 13, 2007.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i went to hawesville & fished in the tourney the ky. a.c.a.t.s. put on. i took a friend that had never fished for big cats before but wanted to give it a try. we didnt get there untill friday about 2pm. i had never fished up there so we were fishing with a blind fold on. i did find a few spots & we got a 7 & a 17 pounder . so we left. sat morn. we left the ramp & WENT to that spot. 6 lines out. it was very cold, wind out of the east plus the river was dropping. rained all night it was tuff. 15 min. after we got the lines out, dans out pole went down hard & stayed down, he had a hard time getting out of the holder. when he got it out the pole stayed bent way over & the fish was stripping line. i was trying to help him while getting the other lines in. this fight went on for 15 min. and he never got to turn the crank once. i was still striping line slowly. i told him to hold on that i was going up front to throw the anchor line. i no more than got up front of the boat & i heard him say oh no. it came off. that was the only bite we had all day. but i think we have a new guy to hit the water looking for big cats. he is still buzzing about the fight and the power of that fish. wish we could have got it in, but i dont think he felt the cold the rest of the day.

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Great story Russ, way to turn another one on!

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Thanks for the report Russ.. Too bad he couldn't of landed that one.. He would of been talking about it the rest of the winter..

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Rusty, It was a pleasure to finaly meet you. I am sorry that the fish didn't want to cooperate. This was one of the worst days I have seen in a while for fishing.

5. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Dreadnaught, that look on your face in your avatar reminds me so much of one of my uncles. I can't get over it. :smile2::smile2:

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    russ nice to meet you also ,yea it was defenitly a bad day a tuff day even though we won the tournament it was a lttle embarassing to win it with just 12 lbs lol...it should have taken a 150lbs ... hey thanks for showing me that rig u use it looks good for heavy current

steve

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Dan, ole deadnut cant help it, he was born that way. Or hatched or whatever. Nature sometimes seems so cruel.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    JW had his pic taken before he had his morning gallon of coffee.. He still didn't know where he was or even who he was... hehehe