Went to Canyon lake yesterday.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MichaelP, Apr 6, 2008.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Got there at about noon and fished until about 6:00 pm without a bite. Too many people cliff diving and screaming for some reason. So, as soon as everyone packed up and left, I got my first fish. About a 6 inch long channel that I caught on anchovies. I cast netted some 3-4 inch bluegills and baited up. Not 3 minutes later I got a 10 lb channel. Right after I slid him in the water, I hooked into another fish. Looked like the twin of the fish I caught so much I had to check its mouth for hook marks. After that it was nonstop channel cats all over 5 lbs. I caught 8 in all in a span of about an hour with one getting wrapped up and breaking off. I dont know if its the noise, or if its just the sun going down but its interesting that after everyone left the bite turned on.

2. galactic

galactic New Member

State:
    arizona
    yea mike i had a very similar experience last week at patigonia, no bite all night,just alil crappie i took a hike around to a nice spot, under some cover in the shallows,and i was pulled outabout 5 - 5-6 pounders{channels} in the middle of the day!! with some ol fashoned worms..funny, i didnt see anyone with as much as a bite besides the bass fishermen..and my friend cought his first fish ever, while i was stringing one up ... they seem to be bitting now..sorry guys i ate a few of them bad boys..:wink:

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Strangley enough, my biggest indicator of my fishing success at a peticular spot seems to be my cast net. If I dont catch some gills or shad on the first few casts, I dont catch nada at that peticular location. I dont know if its water temp, amount of light, or what but if I cant cast net anything Im not getting bites either.

4. galactic

galactic New Member

State:
    arizona
    you would think if there is little fish, the big fish that eat them are around.. never fished canyon before, just apache and rosie..have you ever have any luck at canyon with some flattys.:cool2:

5. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Way to go Mike. Channels that size put up a good fight.

6. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    What part of the lake was you fishin?

7. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The boulder recreation area in the back. Theres a little cove thats pretty good and USUALLY isolated from the rest of the lake.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you had bait issues to me. Those bluegill really turned them on. Great Job.

9. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I would think that since its connected to the rest of the salt river lakes there would be some flatheads, but Ive been fishing there for 15+years and never caught a single one so I dont know....

10. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    I caught an 8 lb flathead up the channel in canyon 3 yrs ago!!Caught a 13 lb channel last year!!Went the other evening and never got a bite!!!

11. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Cool,I knew they were in there just have never heard of them.

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea, hopefully you will be able to start catching some soon

13. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Went this evening to Canyon and caught a 3 lb and 8 lb channel,brought em home and had a nice dinner!!:big_smile:

14. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    It's all about the time of day. You can catch them anytime, but evening is always most productive.

15. Capt catfish

Capt catfish New Member

State:
    Illinois/Az
    I pulled in a few SMALL flatties out by Boulder,and that was it. Where there are small ones,there MUST be a large one ;)

16. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    nice name you got there brett:smile2:
    Glad you found the site- finally!

17. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey, the capt. catfishes are multiplying!