Went to bass pro

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tncatfishing, Dec 12, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Went to bass pro over the weekend and I tell you what I have been their many times before and never real noticed how many darn lures they had, I mean how many plastic lures can one man have?? But I did finaly find some sabiki rigs and I did not realize how small the lures were. And I even picked up a 8 foot shimano spincast pole, seems to be preety darn nice. They had some berkley poles that had a place in the handle for double a batteries, with an on and off turn switch the entire pole lites up. Now that would be handy for me since I either start fishing from the dark in the mornings till light and from light :D in the afternoon till dark. Might have to start sneeking them into my collection. Bass pro is the place to get some serious hooks. That is what my next purchase will be to upgrade my hooks. :D :D

2. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    we have a bass pro a couple hours from the house, that riverwalk shopping area in bosier city is very nice where the bass pro is but i have to say that for at least that particular location, their prices are laughable. my better half and i spent a few hours looking around bass pro but didnt spend a single dime. oh for sure the selection is impressive no doubt but i work too hard for my money to pay 50 percent more for every item. i prefer to use fishnetco or memphis net and twine, give my money to the little guys. if i HAVE to ill go to wally mart and give that megacorporation less of my dough than bass pro. and lets not forget "the honey hole", my local hometown baitshop tackle store.

3. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

I do spend several $$$$a year with basspro,and a little with that other place
    but most of all support your local bait and tackle store,it may be a little
    higher in price,but they have to make a living,and there competition is
    huge,the local shops are there for you, when you need them,and support
    a lot of things,going on in there area,i have never been turned down when
    i needed a rod & reel combo for a good cause.these folks get hit on every
    day for something and a lot of the time it is a scam by some one that is to
    lazy to work.SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BAIT & TACKLE SHOP!!!!!!
    KIRK

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well the only places in clarksville tn to get tackle at is either walmart or grandpas, which I buy from both. When you need something that these two places don't have or want more selection than thought possible and when I can actualy get their and that is not often I go to bass pro. Oh I also buy from busy bee in cumberland city, so I spread my spending around. :D

5. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would like to see the lighted poles that tncatfishing was talking about. That would be great for night fishing.

chris

6. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the berkely rods that light up don't make any sense to me if you have a clicker......my buddy bought one..........it seems to me like the only reason it costs $ 50 bucks is because it lights up.........it is kinda cool though, you can leave it out in the sun all day and kinda charge it up that way....or use a battery

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The pole costs 34 and 39 dollars not fifty, and a bait clicker is not the be all to end all. Some people dont have a baicaster, I'm one of them and some people just don't want one. Now I plan on getting one soon. Now if you are fishing in the dark I mean realy dark out and your baitclicker goes off and your not real close to your pole for whatever reason and don't have a lamp, light , etc wouldn't it be nice to see exactly where your pole is. Anything that makes your pole more visible at night is a plus to me. :cool:

8. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys, take a look at catfish connection. They are competive which equals good prices.

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I read somewhere on this board that the handles on those rods broke off easy.

Years ago Grandpas was the place to go for your fishing stuff, but they have got their prices up too high now. Most of the little bait shops have better prices than Grandpas.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey Grumpy it just depends on what your looking for, I have found some nice spincast combos for catfishing their.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Bass Pro in Bossier City is the smallest of their stores. I live in Houston and ours is in the town of Katy on the west side of Houston. Its at least 25% bigger than the one in Bossier. As for prices, they seem to vary. Of the big tackle stores here, Academy, Gander Mountain, Fishing Tackle Unlimited, and Bass Pro, Gander is the highest. Academy generally is the lowest, but Bass Pro sometimes meets or beats their price. I got two Bass Pro rods, one long ultralight and one Extreme Medium Heavy bait casting rod. The latter was a cheap acquisition from a tourney bass fisherman who won it, got it cheap. They are very good rods. The Extreme is a strong rod. BPS has a good return policy. As for variety in hooks and, especially weights, they don't seem much better than any of the other big stores. None of them carry no-roll sinkers.

12. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Go a bass pro about twenty minuets away. The place gets me in trouble with the wife. I end up with things I'll never use. Bought this stuff last month that clames it smells like a catfish in heat. Suppose to attract the males. Haven't tried it yet. Thats my problem with the bass pro shop. I buy everything I can get my hands on...

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Cretus, you need counseling ;) Can you spell a-d-d-i-c-t-i-o-n? I had the same problem. Solved it by running out of money.

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
  15. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

I have owned glow tip rods from ZEBCO and after a while the tips broke
    off,when i asked them,by living here in florida was it possible that they
    were getting to much UV rays,causing them to become brittle and break.i thought it was a good question,but mabye iam wrong,i did not receive
    any reply other than send them in for replacement,well after 2 times
    sending them in,it cost to much and takes to much time.i have stopped
    useing there products after at least 25 years,and gone to a more reliable
    source.WAS THE QUESTION ON UV RAYS,a stupid thing to ask? :confused:
    KIRK

16. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a Bass Pro close to my house and go there quite often. I usually buy only things I need or running short on. I think it's like everything else, you have to know what your buying. Sure there are deals out there if your willing to look for them but what a couple of bucks if I can have it right now. I'm on a budget just like everyone else and it's best to know who's got the best prices. I bought some circle hooks from another sports shop Bass pro price 2.29, Walmart 2.49 the other guy 1.99.

Thanks

17. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    In my area Bass pro is about the highest priced. If walmart has what I need I get it there. Usally I end up at Acadamy. The usally have a good selection at a fairly good price.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have a berkley big game rod and it has pulled in some ok fish. Then again it is the only berkley rod I have and I have now replaced it with a shimano rod. Not going to replace any of my other poles till they give me a problem. I have to look at the pole but my mitchell saltwater spincast setup is my best pole and reel, don't know if any of yall are real familiar with them. My father in law bought it for me and atleast to my standards on what I will spend on a pole cost a good amount, but it is a darn good setup.

19. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

It would make A LOT OF SENSE if you had the hearing of a ROCK! Being hearing impaired, I depend mainly on visual. Harland

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I had two of the Berkley Glowsticks, but one of my buds wife liked them so sold them to her and bought two 7' Berkley Big Game rods. I then took some of the reflector tape I got from the auto dept and used it on the top part of the rods, cut it into half inch strips, winding them around by the eyelets and they show up really good. Dick