Went to bartlett last night.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MichaelP, Sep 24, 2008.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Caught some enormous bluegill for bait. They were the biggest Ive seen.
    Thick and muscular with a lot of vigor. Tossed them out after the sun went down and only got one run from sundown to 2 am. Got overrun by skunks and had to leave as they were not taking baseball sized rocks hurled at them as an unwelcome notice. Put out the crayfish traps and had 50-60 crayfish in no time at all so the trip wasnt a total waste.

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hopefully they didn't leave you with their potion. So do you cook the crawdads, i have heard of some people cooking them but never tried it? At least you did not leave empty handed.

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Hey Mike, where were you fishing at Bartlett. Did you use cut bait in your trap to catch crayfish?? I'm going Friday morning and having a crayfish boil sound good to me for dinner. If you don't mind how deep was the water you had your trap in?? I fish up river and have yet to see a skunk ''thankfully'' :smile2:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the crayfish and good luck on your next catfishing expedition

5. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was fishing right next to yellow cliffs.
    Generally any rocky structure they can hide in is good. I usually catch them in 4-6 ft of water. Walking along the bank with a stick and a piece of string with some cut bait works really well. Just spot them with a flashlight, put the cut bait in front of them and when the grab it just lightly pull them into the net or if youre brave, pull them into shallow water where you can grab them behind their claws.
    When Im camping I usually catch a bunch, and with large pot over a fire I get some water boiling. Throw in a package of Zatarains crab boil and toss in the crayfish for about a couple minutes at a good rolling boil. Pull the pot out and let it set for 10-20 minutes. Then dump the water and start twisting off the tails. They do have a vein similar to shrimp that you have to remove, but it peels right out after you shell them.

6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey mike, i thought you had a boat? You guys that eat fish and crustaceans are sick in the head. :smile2:

7. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    We all have to be a little sick to do what we do.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just like in Apocalypse Now, "Dont get out of the boat".
    The boat is undergoing an engine swap after the evinrude 90 coughed up a piston. A johnson 115 is taking its place. Just have to get up off my ass and go swap out the power trim and all that stuff.

9. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    115 HP would be badass. I just have a 50 HP. I do about 22 mph. :smile2::roll_eyes::sad2: But i get where i'm going most of the time.

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hell, Id settle for a trolling motor at this point just so I wouldnt have to be shore fishing.

11. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC

There is nothing wrong with shore fishing brotha, but I hear yall my boat is out as well until I find a new trailer for it. Until then it's the shore banks for me. Thanks for sharing your story though I wish I could get a hold of some of them mud bugs myself.MMMMMm good.