Went scouting today

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Scott Daw, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    hey while I was out shed hunting/after season scouting I found this area on a hill side below a field thats full of thick cover and just before the hill ends into a spring theres a small strip of pine trees (about 30). all around the area outside the pines, it looked as if a raisinette truck over turned and lost its cargo...... Do you think this would be a bad place to hunt? :wink:

2. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Scott, It could be but also maybe a wintering area. Some of my best bow season spots have not had any activity since Jan. Is there any old deer sign..rubs, scrapes? What are the food sources? Good huntin'.

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    If there was lots of pines and you've had any severe storms they may have just been in there to ride out the storm. Be a good place to check out about midsummer tho.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    up on top of the hill theres a farmers field. i seen them along this creek once during the summer while driving by and jotted it down as a place I must scout sometime. well the weather broke so i went.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dont want to bust your bubble or anything on your spot but i will give advice on what has worked for me. i dont pay much attenetion to deer sign anymore because 90 percent of it is done during the night. so alot of times when you find a spot that is just beat to death with deer sign was done at night. the two things i look for now days is big tracks and big rubs. the big tracks mean more to me than the rubs. you can tell faster than another way if there is a big buck in the area by the tracks than any other way that i know of. big rubs are just a back for the big tracks. with that said i then would look for travel corridors and funnel areas that the deer use. the number one over looked funnel to me is a road crossing. most folks wont hunt close to the road. (know your laws)its the easiest give away to deer travel that i know of in some area. we have alot of houses around here and the deer will only cross the road at certain places between the houses. i spent three years chasing a buck here and hunting the backside of our property. i found the sheds off the buck two years in a row. local folks kept telling me they seen him crossing the road. well i took a good look at the road crossings and setup on the one i found the sheds on....lol. hunted him for two weeks and got him. he was coming from where my truck was parked. how many times had he looked at my truck while i was 3/4 mile in the woods. turned out to be the best stand on the whole 300 arces we had. all im saying is the simple approach is offend over looked. good luck to you.

6. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Michael, thats some good advice. Dont be affraid to hunt out of the box, or nontraditional spots. Find some quality arial photos (taken in the winter) and topo maps online and try to locate funnels and travel corridors that are easly overlooked. I only hunt public land and have shot many deer in spots that others wouldnt even think about hunting. Also ask mailmen and UPS drivers that frequent your area about deer they see. You might be suprized what they know about local deer movement. Good luck.