Went Sat Downtown

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Shad are here. Snapping on pink flies yesterday, all you wanted if you were set up where the shad liked it. Still a couple a weeks away from anywhere and anything will catch fish. After catching all the shad we wanted, we set up for cats and stripers at 5:00 PM. Got run off by rain at 6:00 PM. But,,,,,,in the hour we fished cutbait, we caught an eater every few minutes including a flathead about two pounds. We filled a 40 qt cooler with eaters and gave them away to the bank fisherman by Anncarrow ramp. I kept the flathead. I had never had a flathead before and have been hearing forever from my Lynchburg friends how good they are. I now know. Fillets dredged in flour, then egg, then seasoned corn meal, hard to beat, Could have sworn I was eating walleye from Ontario. Outstanding! A fish Biologist from the state told me a few years ago that bluecats school like sardines and are the only catfish to do that. He said in the spring schools of cats by the thousands and thousands follow the shad up to the fall line. I know in years past it was all the eaters you wanted downtown, impossible to fish more than two rods, ect, ect. Its about to break wide open. Striped ones will be here anyday. Now's the time to do it!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sounds like a great day!

Is it hard to find the hogs this time of season, or is it just bigger baits?

3. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Big ones are around a plenty. Need to be downstream from the fall line a little ways and use bigger baits. I just decided to do a quantity fishing trip yesterday. I get as much pleasure out of catching shad and eaters on lite tackle as I do the pigs on the heavy stuff.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thank you. If you don't mind, educate me a little. I don't know what the fall line is unless maybe the rapids above I95 in Richmond?

I never got much further upriver than about 1-2 miles above the DG ramp.

I'll have to look closer to recognize the ramps that you guys talk about.

Thanks.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Outstanding Kenneth! I'm getting hyped up for the Spring action. Picked up some darts and spoons at Castaways yesterday.

6. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    The Fall Line is where VA and the eastern seaboard states' geography changes from the rolling hills of Piedmont to the coastal plains of Tidewater. At the Fall Line are found the first sets of Rapids. On the James it's right at the 14th Street Bridge in Downtown Richmond. Anncarrow Ramp is off Maury Street which is your first exit on the southside of Interstate 95 after you cross over the River. In about two weeks everytime you cross the river looking upstream or down you will see an armada of boats bailing shad. Its a hoot. Reminds me of opening day of trout season years ago but everyone is in a boat.

Take the Maury/Commerce Street exit and follow the ramp down to the first stoplight. Turn right on Maury and keep going. You will take a 90 degree right underneath the I 95 bridge and keep going past the sewer treatment plant about 1/10 mile and ramp is on your left. I don't think that ramp is on any map, at least I never have seen it. The Ramp is about 1/4 mile below the Interstate 95 bridge. Also probably about 6-7 miles upstream from Dutch Gap. Not sure as I haven't been below the 895 bridge leaving from Anncarrow. I am going again this afternoon. :big_smile:

7. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have never fished for the shad before and am planning to give it a try Friday after work.

Will the Shad darts work now or is that a later date?

8. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    You should catch some on darts. I went again today at 5:00 and fished until 10:00 PM. Saw a couple of fly rod guys killing them on chartruse flies today. I begged two shad off them and caught cats until I was worn out. Look what else jumped on my line. Did I mention I lost one a good foot longer. Slipped out of my hand as I was lipping her.

Attached Files:

9. vtfish

vtfish New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice goin....thanks for the reports..

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Nice striper!!!

Can't wait. Was gonna go Friday, but may leave early from work Thursday and get some of that PM action down there.