Went out Sunday in Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by bro_catfish, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Jason454ci and I met up at a hole in the River outside of Coshocton that Netman jack told me about , Were still unsure what river it was lol its might be the Walhonding or the killbuck river. So were sitting there haveing a great time and Im thankful I didnt break my ankle after all on the way down the bank, the wind picks up and the rain starts to come down , and getting harder as it goes, So as were reeling up Jason says hes got a little channel. As we look at it we see its a big slamander of some kind, Id never seen one but good ole Netmanjack toild me about them there called Hellbenders, Jason was thinking it was a mudpuppy, either way this thing was about 1.5 ft long and very mad about having a 5/0 circle hook in his gullet! I dont see how he got it in his mouth , anyway Jason was reluctant to retreive his new hook and after I called him wuss a few times we cut the hook and he slithered back in the river, over all it was a fun time and Im looking forward to doing it again soon
    Jason should be posting the pics soon

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol, I told you it was going to rain. :sad: You didn't get any more bites?
    I am sure that it was a Hellbender, nasty looking things aren't they, harmless though. They are Ohio's largest salamander, also endangered, but you couldn't tell it from the Walhonding.:) lol

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Had a great time Bro Catfish. Maybe the next time the fish will be a little more coopertive. Ain't know way I am touching one of those slimy little critters either. Here's a couple pics of the cute little fellow.

Attached Files:

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I take that back boys, that is a mud puppy. First one I have seen from down there in years. Jason, they won't hurt you either. lol I have another spot I am taking DJ to, hope you can come along.

5. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never seen one of those before. Looks like some good bait though :grin-big:

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive caught a couple of those in Alum Creek Res supposedly they do make good bait

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I caught one about 12 or 13 inches back in Jan. on cut shad. I catch at least one every year when the waters cold, always on live or fresh cut fish. Was that what you caught him on. I always called them mud-puppies or water dogs.

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Caught it on a couple small shad. Jack just give me holler, might have to tag along to check out a new hole.

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have caught alot of waterdogs on nightcrawlers.

10. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    The Olantangy is full of them things. I have heard that they are good bait.

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    First time I ever seen one kinda cool looking.

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Yeah those are mud-puppies. Here my uncle have seen them up to like 15Lbs. and caught them upto like 10

13. dandaman

dandaman New Member

State:
    columbus, ohio
    I've never seen one of those I bet it was surprising.