Went Gar fishing today

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Unckle Jesse, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I started out catfishing at the pump station in New Johnsonville yesterday but no cats were there. But there were PLENTY of gar rolling the top. So.... I started fishing for them instead. The others on the dock thought I was nuts. I got 4 for a total of about 50Lbs worth, and hooked a 5th that was prob 15-20 but he jumped the hook about 10 feet from the bank.:cool2:

2. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I think gar fishing is pretty fun. I usually end up doing it if the cats aren't biting and I can spot a few roamin around. We stood on a brush pile once and threw a dead minnow out with no weight and watched them hit on the surface like a bass.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Gar have saved quite a few otherwise fishless days for me. They are certainly a blast to catch!

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have always been curious about this.When I go catfishing I always catch gar.Now if you go gar fishing do you catch cats??????:big_smile::eek:oooh::smile2::wink:Wouldnt surprise me.When were were kids down in Texas and the other fish werent biting we would try and catch gar with some success.Since our Dads were military we had a ready supply of M80s and sometimes an artillery simulater or two.If we caught a gar we would put the M80 in its snout which fit just right since the fuse came out at 90 degs.Quick wrap of electrical tape around the snout,light the fuse and release the fish.Always spectacular results but hard on the gar.:smile2::big_smile:

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Wheres PETA on this one? :wink:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Did you bury your Grandmas baby chicks with their heads out of the ground and cut their heads off of them with the lawn mower? I had to ask.I once knew a boy that did.That poor boy could not get away with anything.Grandma saw him with the mower and took him a glass of Lemonade as a reward.I don;t know who was the most surprised,him or his Grandma.I hope you made out better.He's been called "Chick"for 50 years.40 years of it after he died.He killed himself with a Grave Stone when he hit it at a very high speed.He Made the big city paper.They had a picture of the tag on the front of his car."Drive like Hell and you will get there".You seem to have made out better.smile,great big smile.I love you Brother.Just having fun.I hear someone mentioned PETA,but I wouldn;t worry.They seem to be at their best attacking old ladies in fur coats killing dogs and setting fires to the monkeys homes.They seem to be awful afraid of anyone wearing leather such as Hells Angles,Outlaws,etc.I love you Brother.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do ya CPR them Gar...? What do you do with them..?

8. Unckle Jesse

Unckle Jesse New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh yeah all fish I catch are atleast C&R. I dont typically eat any fish I catch out of the rivers around here. I have caught some before (cats and bass no gar) and put them in a stocked pond to clean them up before though.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    not to sure about gar always thought they were a pain in the ?

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I was a young'un, it was against the law to return carp and gar to the waters. Consequently, the banks were often lined with dead and rotting fish..:angry:

11. taborcat

taborcat New Member

State:
    mississippi
    my buddy cought a 25# longnose gar in the ms river last year and we decided to try some. eat that is. almost broke my fillet knife trying to cut open the back. they have a roll of boneless white meat on both sides of the
    backbone.make sure you use a sturdy buck knife of some kind. once we opened up the back we carved out the meat. tues in the memphis paper were three gar recipes this is the one i used 6lbs gar meat 5 potatoes boiled and peeled & mashed 6 green onions chopped 1 large onion chopped 1/2 green pepper diced 3 cloves garlic minced 2 eggs beaten tabasco to taste
    1 tbl salt 1 tea pepper 1 cup flower 1/4 cup cooking oil mix ingredients well
    pat into cakes dip cakes in flour and fry in hot oil until brown. yes i really made these and ate them took some to work and everyone who tried them
    said they were good i liked them as well. sometimes its not what you eat but how you cook it enjoy if you dare

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I broke the law last weekend by returning an asian carp that jumped into the boat back to the water. I hate those things, but I had plenty of bait, and I sure ain't gonna eat one of those nasty things. It is illegal to return them to the water live here, and for good reason. It used to be the same way with gar in some places. Gonna have to look into that one, because I would love to kill them.

13. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    hey im headed to texas for a couple of days on monday and for some reason i want to catch a gar (we dont have them in arizona). ill be in the fort worth area, is there any place i could catch one?

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    there was a show on the outdoor channel the other day & these guys were catching 7 & 8 ft gar on the brazos river!!!!