Went fishing today.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by SilverCross, Feb 27, 2006.

1. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Went fishing for two hours this afternoon, Beautiful day, temp was great. No bites but got to try out some new tackle and loved the time. Tried a piece of ham and a piece of porkchop, either they ate it or away it went, leftovers. Anybody else getting out any? Doing any good? Feb. 27, 06

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, I faired a little better than you. Went out yesterday to a small pond and caught about a 2-3lb channel and released him. Would have a pic but left camera at home. Caught him using a dropper loop? rig with chicken liver. Sinker on bottom and hook up high. First time I used one or tied one and dont think I would have caught any without it. Thanks BOC for teaching me a new rig.:)

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I went out on friday because it was 63 out and I just had to get out and try out new gear. The water was fine for about thirty feet out but further out there was just enough ice to mess things up for me so I spent the rest of the day finding some good fishing spots for later on and found some excellent places. I finally decided to try a large pond weve been to before and ended up getting to try out my new gear and also found somebody's lost dog so all in all it was a good day.

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Cat hunter, I can't resist going out this weekend . I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    YES! FINALLY! Tomarrow is going to 74 out and I'll be off work. I work from 6 pm to 6am and I am not even going to go to bed I'm just going to head out as soon as I get off work. That is how bad it's gotten:sick-big: At least all the ice will definantly be off the water so I can try the new spots I found. If you can't tell I'm psyched out:p I'll let yall know how it goes:cross:

6. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    went out today and cought a few biggest about 5lb. cought all of them on shad guts. the water temp in the river was 44deg, at the warm water discharge it 62deg thats were I cought all of my fish. Monday was better cought a 6lb channel at the dam and about a dozen smaller ones at the discharge

7. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Yes I did go out today my 9yr old girl wanted me to take her. I couldn't say no. I missed one and had some other bites on cut shad that I bought from the bait store. Only went out for about an hour.

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Went out again today. Caught the first fish for 06, a giant six inch largemouth, then a nine inch flat in a pond I fish a lot. The creek overflows when we have a bad storm and runs into this pond. I am thinking this is how the flat got in there. Well they are starting to move around so it's fishing time again....lol

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    They are calling for snow and sleet here the next 2 days... so i guess winter is back, and after i went out and bought me a brand new abu and pole..:crying:

10. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    I am going to the dam at alton and will be throwing for some spoonbills tomorrow and if nothings there I will go to carlyle and try there just getting out snow or no snow. I use to fish all winter long hot water lakes had a heck of a time with freezing guides on the rods but hey enjoyed it. I love to fish and am making up for missing it last year.
    Bondman

11. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    Hey Henry,

Discharge at Carlyle is 6500 cfs! Last year there was no water going thru so this may be a great year. When I get caught up on these tornado claims I'll be ready to go.

Eric

12. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    ok got skunked today nothing was going on at alton and saw some white bass at carlyle dam....the water is up real nice should have a good year fishing for some flats at carlyle this year.i was hoping to catch something even a bighead carp would have been fine with me LOL but maybe next time it will be better (i can hope)
    Bondman

13. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have been out a few times havent caught nothing worth reporting.

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You guys are braver than me (spelled crazy) going out to fish in this weather.. I guess i'm getting old cause its gotta get warmer before i try it again:crying:

15. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Went out Friday night, 4/14/06, I got one whole bite and my partner got six keepers and two small bass, bait size. Geez, we used same bait, just twenty foot apart. Guess he got the good spot, but I had a great time anyway, it's just nice being out there. He also got about a ten inch flat. Waiting for Wed. now, then I fish again. Good luck all.

Hey Sagamon, how did you do?

16. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Been fishing a couple of times recently, including last night, but the whiskers seem to be nibbling softly as I have yet to get one to shore--is this normal for this time of year--or do I just need to be more careful? circle hooks?

thanks

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Partner and I went out Friday 4/21/06, he caught six bluegill on ultra light and no bites on the big poles. Still got to be out fishing anyway.

Come on and post so we all know what is working and what isn't.

18. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Ridgerunner and I went out to our local creekFriday night and caught, five nice channels and two mini ones, a good night fishing.

19. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I've tried the ol miss from the bank 3 different times and spots and took the boat out 2 times 2 different areas.. Tried shad , stinkbait, worms, cutbait, herring. shrimp. and bluegills.. And still haven't had a bite yet.. Also went to silver lake in Highland and fished from the bank.. same results.. I'm thinking of taking up knitting..:crazy:

20. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    Went out last night on Illinois and only cought 2 small channels.