Went fishing this morning on the Cedar River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by crs#1catkiller, Jul 1, 2006.

1. crs#1catkiller

crs#1catkiller New Member

State:
    iowa
    Got on the water this morning at 1:00 am. Location linn county cedar river. channel cats were biting on fresh cut shad. A friend and I cought a decent number of channel cats. We fished all different kind of depths. Cat were everywere, shallow and deep. Had a great time. I'm going out again tonight to try it again. I'm looking for 10 pounders does anyone have any ideas were there at. Please help.:cool2:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Dont know where to tell ya to go out there. But congrats on the catches and good luck tomorrow brother.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

their in there you might try a little larger bait. congrats on a good night of fishing.

4. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Try using live bait, shad will work but doesn't stay alive very long, gills are even better .... I caught several 10+ lb channels last year fishing for Flatheads, all but one on either a live gill or shad ..

When the channels get over the 10 lb range they start feeding on live prey like a flathead .... also if you are catching smaller cats (1 lb and under) move because when the 10+er's move in the smaller cats move out (or become supper)

JR