Went fishing Saturday on wabash river

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, May 17, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well me and big catfish64 made it out on yet another one of our adventures. While the water and current was good the wind and decreasing air temps was not. We did manage to catch 4, bigcatfish64 caught the big one this time it was around 8lbs. We had several bites but they were not committed and it was almost impossiple to detect light bites in what seemed gail force winds. The wind did die down somewhat but the air temps kept dropping all day. We stayed for the evening bite and left just before dark. We did have fun at it was a challenge to fish in extreme wind conditions which is something we normally dont due. The warmer dry conditions this week will hopefully help.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Doug,

How was the current? That ran the other night made the rivers over here jump right up. Saw that the gage at Huntington jumped 1.5ft before Saturday. Did that rain Friday effect you guys too much?

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Matt,

The current was'nt too bad for us, we used 2OZ egg sinkers and they seem to do just fine, it was the wind that really skrewed us up though, we fish the wabash river right before it dumps into the J. Roushe Res. in Huntington, and I guess the dam controls the water levels there so when the river is rough in other places its a little more tame there. Hope this helps!!!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i love fishing up river from a reservoir! when they open the gates its like hitting a bite switch! the more current the better sent travels and the locations are more predictable. you guys fish any live gills or chubs?

thanks for the report guys,tim

5. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Tim,

We have had a little success, but the cut bait has been our biggest producer though for both blues and channels in this area, have'nt caught any flats up there though, and to me it's kind of a dissapointment, but on the other hand we do catch alot of fish!!!!!!

6. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    On the other hand when the gates are closed we generally light them up. We dont fish below the dam so we generally wait for stable water or rising water in this area. This has been the best approach for cathing cats for us. It has been a big let down not catching any flats there and only a handful of blues over the years. I have heard the that flathead and bluecat fishing is better below the dam than above. Does any one know if the flood controll waters in the reserviors constrict the numbers of flatheads and blue cats in them? There are a ton of channels though. We have caught some truely giant channels in the 20lb range.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm not sure...seems like there are a lot more FHC in the rivers than reservoirs. Maybe they're just easier to find in rivers & so more people fish for them in rivers. They DNR nets tons of channels when they survey Rousch, Salamonie & Mississinewa, but very few flatties. That reservoir setting must have some impact...but I also know that people catch some big flats from reservoirs too. Good question Allen!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    a 20# channel is a very good one up on this end of the state! IMO