Went Fishing Last Night

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by BigCatter54, Jun 22, 2009.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Went fishing with Dan "DWB" last night, had a great time, hooked up with my first Blue(Rod and Rel) an 18lbr :big_smile_2:, we only caught three cats but I had a lot of fun, thanks Dan for being able to tag along. Oh and Dan caught a drum:eek:h:

Thanks Dan, Look forward to heading out again.

Chad

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    We'll do it again for sure Chad. I had a blast watching you catch your first R&R Blue!

For folks interested in the report: We launched at Maple Island at about 930pm. The water was REALLY high. We were nearly launching from the parking lot. The water was falling though and , judging from the ramp, fell nearly 2 or 3 feet during our outing. We all know what this means for the blue bite but we persevered anyhow. For bait we used freshly netted moon eye. We fished till about 330am and managed only 4 cats (5-18lb range) and one decent drum. The fish were a little deeper than last week (30-40 feet). Not the most active of nights on the water but also not bad considering the water drop, spawn and the incredible amount of crap coming down the river. The amount of debris kept us out of a lot of places. Al in all a good night on the water!

Chad and I met a nutroll in waiting in the parking lot at the launch area. There was a fella there bank fishing who approached us to chat a bit. During said conversation he asked if we thought he would be OK out on the sippi in his 14ft jon with only an electric trolling motor for power. :crazy::crazy::confused2::eek:oooh:.

3. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Told him he better stick to the sloughs :embarassed: , wouldnt want him to get washed away, alot of crap in the water, made for a slow boat ride back, but had a ton of fun.

4. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Should of told that guy if u dont plan on making it home sure :crazy: Sounds like you guys had a pretty good trip out.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like a nice trip.

6. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    ah that brings back fond memories--my first blue cat, but alas, it was so long ago

7. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I am seeing a pattern here. OleJer caught a drum and a blue, I caught a drum and a blue then Dan and Chad catches a drum and a blue Hmmmmmmm:confused2:

8. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Dan about 10 days ago I seen two guys at the lock in about a 14 ft boat with a 10 hp and neither had life jackets on. I told them their boat was too small but they said they been doing it for years. You been on my boat and know it is big enough for the river but there is not a day that goes by when I am out there that I wish I had a bigger boat.

9. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    so Mr. Oklahoma, what your saying is hope for that first drum, then the bite is on.......Got it.:smile2::smile2::smile2:, The funny thing was that he didnt even know it was on, it just kinda layed there and let him drag it up, on the same note, he also caught his cat when we were reeling in our lines to leave......at a boy Dan.:wink: Hell of a wayto end the night with a fish on.

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois

It takes mad skills to put fish in the boat!!:smile2:

11. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I agree patrick, we were on my 1860 G3, I wish i had a bigger boat, I feel comfortable in mine but a 24 footer would leave me with no worries (for the most part) crazy people out there, I see that kinda stuff all the time around the winfield dam....stupid people, guess they think they are unsinkable. Dan could you imagine me and you in a little 14 ft jon, i believe we would be takin on water just seting there.:smile2::smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

12. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    No doubt! Someday I'd like to pick up a plain jane 12 or 14 footer that I can pick up and check in the back of my truck for floating some of the smaller creeks around here but no way in hell would you catch me on any of the big rivers in it. ESPECIALLY with no means of propulsion other than a battery powered trolling motor!

13. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree with that dan i am looking to get an 18 footer to get me started out on

14. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Talk to HarryOld.......word has it he is opening a used boat lot! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    The same Harryold that thought he was gettin over on his neighbor sellin his last boat to him. Then the neighbor got it fixed for nothing. Should be able to get a pretty good deal from old Harryold. :wink::smile2::smile2:

16. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i noticed he had a good used boat lot goin:smile2: