Went fishing for channel catfish tonight

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Gringoloco, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Caught a nice load of channels here at the big pond on base. I pulled in 11 channels ranging from 2-5 lbs. I lost a nice one though, it was around a 7-8 lb channel. I had it right up to the dock we were fishing, attempted to pull it from the water and it broke my line. I was fishing with two other people, one landed a nice 5 lb channel and two that were 2-3lb. The other guy landed 3 channels, 1 about 2-3 lbs, the second was a 5.5 lb, and a nice 7 lb one. All and all it was a good night fishing, alot of bites tonight fishing from 6pm to 3am. They were biting really good on the liver mixed with garlic powder. Im so tired right now though and I am about to go to bed. I will take a pic of the 14 fish that I brought home. The other 3 fish the guy took home to clean.

2. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh,

Congrats!!! Let me know next time you head out there. I would love to give it a shot. You were fishing the old lake on base right?

Wayne

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    congrats josh on your fish im looking forward to seeing the pics wayne i was wondering how you did on the missippi the other day i thought i saw a post saying you were going to launch your boat below the damn i do alot of fishing below melvin price myself i went out saturday and cought 5 fish

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the catches, sounds like ya did good.

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Congradulations on the catches! Keep it up!

6. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason,

I ended up going to the kaskaskia that day. I did want to go to the Mississippi; but, kind of wanted to go out there with someone who has fished it before. Plus I need to get a couple of anchors that are not the mushroom kind so I do my best to keep from losing them. The next time I will probably make an attempt at the Mississippi will probably the the 24th. Got too much going on between now and then to get out. All the cats should be biting good by then. Welcome your thoughts Jason.

Wayne

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Here are the pics of the two biggest that I brought home. The one on the left is the one my buddy Danny caught, and the one on the right is the biggest one that I landed.

Attached Files:

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    good mess of fish there.

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Thanks! We fish out there all the time, but last night was a rare occurance from other times fishing out there. Hopefully there will be some more nights like that this summer. I will send you a pm the next time I am going out there for some night fishing. We fish the bigger of the ponds and have good luck this spring/summer so far. But I have talked to others and they land the big ones over in the smaller pond. My buddy Danny pulled out a 11-12lb channel last week from the bigger pond last week when I was in Texas. So I know they have some good fish in there.

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice, looks tasty!

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know of a LT. back in the 70's who was " made" to take a dip in that pond. We thought it would cool him down, and maybe make the fish bite better, also he had already signed out to his new duty station, so it was a freebie for us. Andy