Went fishin today

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Huetter2000, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Huetter2000

Huetter2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    went fishing at ottawa today and hooked up on 5 cats all weighing 5lbs or better. all of which were released. Just need some info is there a limit on the illinois river?

2. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    congrats, mate! not sure about the limit thing.

3. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice mess of cats! A friend & I caught 5 cats 4-8 lbs on 3/11/06 in S. Iowa. Way to go w/release them. For limits info, you may try the individual state info here on BOC. I know there is a lot of info available for Iowa.

4. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    No there are no limits unless you are at a site specific site (ie LaSalle Lake etc.)

5. Rivercat2

Rivercat2 New Member

State:
    Morton,Illinois
    I went yesterday and cought 8 channels biggest about 8lb, cought two on small live shad and the rest on cut shad.

6. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Huetter2000. what kind of bait were you useing. I didnt catch anything the otherday and was useing shrimp. I might try today.

7. Huetter2000

Huetter2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i tried a crawlers and not even a drum hit it. then switched to cut shad and that was the ticket. they hit it like they want it but there is no fighting. My guess is its still to cold water temp was 47 F.

8. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Jim, there are no limits anywhere on the Illinois river for catfish. The only river wide limit is a 12" length limit on Large or Smallmouth bass.(12" minnimum) There are also a couple site specific limits at the Starved Rock and Marseilles pools (concerning bass and crappie). Other than that, it's wide open.
    Rat

9. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    I went fishing today!! I headed out from the Fox in Ottawa and hit the Illinois. Wind to my face at a breezy 55mph. Headed down river, got about 50yrds and hit the first 20ft wave. Thought I better head back, but the river was all mine. Not another idiot but myself on the river. Figured if I could make it to the south side of the first islands it might slow the winds a bit and calm the seas. WRONG.
    Desides to head up rive and see if I could make it to the lock. After free bath after bath from the 20ft waves I finally made it. I anchored out in 6ft of water,(i think). Fish finder kept saying"2ft,6ft,2ft,6ft,2ft,6tf,2ft,7tf,2ft,6,ect,ect,ect.
    I cast out onto a drop off and that was the ticket, brought in 5 cats and missed two. After about 2 bottles of motion sickness pills I figured it was time to go home.
    I left and as I hit the Fox I desided to try it for a few. I managed 1 more cat and said "thats it, Im going home."

One heck of a day. I also managed to catch about 100 shad in one cast of the net!!