Went Fishin Last Night..

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by L2druid, Sep 22, 2009.

1. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We had a fun trip overall. Took the fiance and a friend and his girl-who I might add was pretty funny to watch the whole time since she is not into the outdoors.

We were fishing with live gills and my friend hooked something big...he fought it to shore and it finally showed itself as the biggest drum I've ever seen in my life! It was massive.

So, we started getting real nice fish around 10:30pm and caught a 5lb channel...about the same size flattie, then I got a nice 11lb flattie. Well, the fiance hooked one that looked as big as my 20lber! Got him right to the shore and he tried to horse him in too soon and he snapped the line as his head broke the surface and he thrashed...

About 1am he got a hit that just slowly took the bobber under and he wrestled with a fish that had to have been a monster. He hugged the bottom and could barely be moved, when pulled up just slightly would peel drag and sit back down. After a couple minutes of that he got tired of it and just decided to swim off, eating more drag. Then: SNAP! Reeled it in to find the line frayed all to hell.

Well, have to say we were being losers and not using leaders, now we are looking into them. Also looking into braided line since I hear such good things and I'd like to give it a shot.

Just thought I'd share.

2. festus

festus New Member

Glad to hear you're at least able to fish, Heather, we've had rain down Tennessee and Georgia way for a week. Even though it's stopped today, the lakes and rivers are so full of floating debris, I'm not even going to try until Thursday or Friday. Yes, it sounds like you need to upgrade your line. Yeah, I know some folks who try to tough it out on the riverbanks and don't have a clue what to do. I'm getting my girlfriend trained a little better, she'll give up after half an hour without a bite and go back to the vehicle and do some knitting or get on her wireless Internet.:smile2:

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a successful trip Heather. Even if you lose a fish it's still exciting to hook one. Good luck in the future!

4. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lol this girl was funny. And gullible. We went to scale the rocky, hook covered bank in the dark and my fiance was like..."Oh take your shoes off, it'll make it easier!" And she started to take her shoes off..Haha. I don't think she ended up liking the trip very much. It stank like dead fish, it was chilly and she refused to fish..saying she was too scared to catch one. Ah well, that's on my friend, not me! I'm sure he had to hear it later.

5. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, it was exciting. Thank you!

6. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    You have to invest in some braided line, i suggest some 65 lb, it ir real easy to cast and can handle whoppers without fraying. i learned that lesson long ago with break offs due to rocks and concrete bridge pilings.
    Heres some choices..... P-line... Power-Pro... Spiderwire. There are more if ya research it. I have had Power-Pro on my reels for 9 years now...Awerome stuff.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana