Went catfishing last night--GRRRRRR!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by splitshot, Oct 13, 2006.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Went cattin last night in the south bay of lake Champlain. Had four good runs and broke off four times. I was using 30 lb. stren big game, with a 14 inch. wire leader, and circle hooks. I was baited up with cut herring,and suckers. I know it had to have been gar that broke me off----i think. Question is Would it help to use a longer wire leader. Seems to me 14 inch would be long enough. The thing that really puzzles me is how can a circle hook, even hook into a gar?? I dont have much experence with gar as ive only caught one, Which was a three and, a half ft. needle nose. When i pulled him out of the water he had the sucker in his mouth,and the line wrapped around his snout.but the circle hook wasnt set. Is there a way i can avoid this problem? Is a longer wire leader the ans.?

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey Steve ya got gar in there? Maybe it was "Champ" or a big pike or a bowfin. Are the gar really that populated there? I used to fish champlain growin up wish I had caught a gar I still have yet to hook up with one

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Are you using Stren-or Berkely Big Game? I have nothing but problems with Stren line. I've caught up to a 60lber on 30lb Trilene Big Game, and caught plenty of Gar and even a Sturgeon without the line breaking-while using 40lb test as a leader. Be sure to check your line for nicks and fraying. I wouldn't think you'd need a wire leader.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Doug i said stren but meant berkley. I always check my line, and retie if its nicked or frayed. The thing is im not sure if it was gar. I am sure it wasnt turtles, as the runs were to fast.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Check your line by all means but unless you actually want to catch gar don't go to a steel leader. They aren't necessary for cats and if it is gar biting you off then that has to be better than having to deal with them...W

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    There is plenty of gar in south bay Terry, maybe too many. You can see them cruising at night on the top, with a spotlight. I suppose it could have been a northern, or a bowfin, although ive never caught a bowfin in south bay. If you ever get a chance to come up here,and want to catch some gar let me know. While you were gone my son caught a 15 Lb. channel at south bay.

7. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like there are some big fish up there.

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hey steve I fish the Little Rideau canal in Ontario every year. I will be heading up in late june next year I imagine I could sqeek out 2 days for fishing in Champlain

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    The reason i started using steel leaders, was to keep from losing so much tackle to the gar,but that hasnt helped either. What bothers me the most is not knowing whats breaking me off, and no i dont use steel leaders for cats. Maybe ill start bringing my 12 gauge with me :roll_eyes: LOL

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    That would be great Terry, Maybe we can hook up.

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Yup i just dont seem to be able to catch them LOL.:embarassed:

12. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    the biggest pike I ever landed was in champlain Steve and I hooked and landed him on smallmouth gear. It seems as though the biggest of big bite when you aint trying for them.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I may be wrong, as I often am, but no gar that I ever caught ran with the bait, or broke off tackle, or even put up much of a fight for that matter. My experience has been that the gar will set there and chew their food making the tip of my rod just bounce around a little bit. Maybe you hooked a big ol' flattie repeatedly. Or maybe more than one. Who knows? I just can't see a gar wrecking your tackle like that.

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Matt we dont have any flatties up here, i sure wish we did. The only gar ive ever caught was a three and a half ft. needle nose,and he took off like a rocket. Im thinking Terry might be right about it being big northerns.

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I myself would look at the size of the line. I run 65 lb. power pro and have never lost tackle from a fish. Who knows that fish may have been say 50 lbs. and one quick jerk could easily have snapped 30lb. line.
    The way I see it is if you want to get in the big ones have a big enough cable on the winch.

16. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sorry about the bad luck buddy.

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the idea Dave, first i gota get a bigger winch LOL.

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    there is always the dynamite option Steve:big_smile:

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks tea, before the lake freezes I WILL!!! find out whats been breaking me off.:crazy:

20. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Might make for some bad press if i killed Champ:tounge_out: