Wels catfish in the USA?`

Discussion in 'Wels Catfishing' started by Blacky, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Has there even been a report of a European catfish being caught in the USA. There are always reports of other exotic species being caught. Just think, if people flip over the introduction of flatheads, what do you think they will do over the Wels? Even the flatheads aren't safe.

peace

2. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Buy one get one free :rolleyes:

Given the ideal cotrolled environment the wels although in monsterous proportions do live side by side with other predators and would not threat specimen flats, channels or blues in my opinion.

Sure they are eating machines and have tastes for certain food sources which could lead safe introduction.

food for thought

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky

This taste wouldn't include bighead carp, would it??????? Now that would be a great fix to a growing problem.

4. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I hope they dont get released here not till we don't have any native cats I know they have some peacock bass in Florida

5. muddyIA

muddyIA New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wels is a cool fish, but I'd just as soon see it stay over the "big puddle". Give me a good reason to maybe book a flight to Europe. Wife can go see the sights, I'll go catch me a big ol fish!

6. HuntinFerChannels

HuntinFerChannels New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Screw the wels:mad: keep em outta here they are too big and eat way too much they would destroy native fish populations

7. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I'd be too scared to go swimming if those guys were down here!:eek:oooh:

8. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I agree that it would be a bad thing, unless they were in controlled areas, like a handfull of man made lakes that have no access to other waterways which would allow the indroduced population to spread. Of course some moron would likely catch some young ones and go introduce them somewhere that they would devistate the aquatic environment like they did with pike here in California. I think the governments attempts to get rid of the pike was a lot more damaging than the pike themselves though. (Gotta admit though, I'd enjoy landing a big ol' 4 foot pike!)

I'd be happy to just fish for Blues where I can, although I'm still hoping to find out if there is anywhere in Northern California where I might have a hope of catching Flatties! :wink:

9. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    yeah it would be scary i wouldnt go swimming either lol yeah I guess it might be ok only if they made just a pond for them no way they can get to any other lakes but u know people these days other that here on the boc they might catch some and put them in good lakes that we fish for blues, or channels, or flatheads and all our other fish. but it would be bad we already have good enough fish.:smile2:

10. spaceman

spaceman New Member

State:
    Strong, Ar
    We have the walking catfish and the snakeheads, they were never ment to be in the general waters but they are now. We don't need any more problems with other species. Let's just enjoy catching the ones we have now.

11. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    if they were ment to be here they would alleady be here

12. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    it would be awesome to be able to catch on of those fish in our own back yard, but like some of the other fellas said, they might destroy our native fish. Plus, that would take the spice out of talking to people from other parts of the world and seeing what all kinds of fish people fish for. It would sorta take the uniqueness out of it all!

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I am not sure if I like the idea of the Wels catfish being introduced into our waters. I wouldn't mind catching a few though.

14. Blue Kayak

Blue Kayak New Member

State:
    MN
    I can't imagine any state allowing the Wels to be introduced. Too many bad experiences with disastrous introductions from previous experiments. It seems like for every brown trout there are dozens of carp.

Jerry

15. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    The wels staple diet is carp here on the Ebro, they never loose there hunting instict even though most cats round here now come out to static bottom baits.

The best thing about the wels is that would grow easily in your climate to monsterous proportions, thats if when caught they are released as they do make good eating.

16. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    brought out of archive