Well...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 10IbsBass, Feb 24, 2009.

1. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    This week is Severe Weather Awareness Week in Alabama and many other states across the country...I was wondering if anyone has a story and if you are prepared if something happens to you...

We learned our lesson last year early in the morning on February 6 when a huge EF-4 tornado hit the town beside ours. The tornado hit early in the morning and very few people had warning. I just happend to wake up and turn the tv on to see our community right in the path. We left the to make it to a safe shelter. The tornado picked up 10 miles from my house and my coummunity would have been the next on its list...I got to go over to some of the towns that had been hit and couldn't believe what I saw. The tornado was just under half a mile wide with winds estimated at 180 mph 20 mph short of being an EF-5. The tornado took one life and injured many more. In all 44 homes where damaged are destroyed in less than ten minutes.

Since this we now have a weather radio.

These pictures are not of the worse damaged areas because they wasn't letting anyone in or out of those areas.

The car is in the middle of a field over 100 yards from the nearest house, and i'm not even sure that was the house it came from.

The second is what is left of one house.

The third was right after the tornado touched down. It picked up this house off the foundation, along with the house right beside it, and carried both over 50 yards from there foundation. It did not drag them it literally picked both of them up and carried them and set them back down. There was people in both houses but no one here had any injuries.

Attached Files:

• 134.jpg
      134.jpg
      File size:
      28.7 KB
      Views:
    • 136.jpg
      136.jpg
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    • 133.jpg
      133.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  2. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    Here is a link to a section of NOAAs website. On this website you can click the radar closest to your home and see its rankings in severe weather events and so on.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/rda/

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    very informative, thanks for posting

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Appreciate the post. We have a weather radio and use it during severe weather.:smile2: