Well tonight is a full moon...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by godsglad8tor, Jun 29, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    does the moon stages really take an effect on the eating habbits or the fish being more active?

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think it does, but if there is a full moon and it's cloudy enough you can still catch fish. We went a few days ago and only caught a few smaller ones, and the moon was hidden by clouds all night.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have my best nights when the moon is full . I hear old timers swear that if the moon is full fishing stinks . Must just be my spot cause the bite is on when the moon is full and skies are clear .

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I think it's all a crapshoot. Some people swear by it, some people just swear it.

IMO, I think there are too many variables to take into consideration. I've had good days and bad days on just about every moon there is.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think the moon phases does affect the fish bite. I think it is influnced by three days before the full moon to the day of and tree days after. Atotal of seven days. One mans opinion. Another thing to observe during this time peorid is the cows. If the cows are up and feeding the fish appear to be more active. If they are laying down chewing their cud. The fishing will be less active. I know you all think I have flipped my lid. Give it a try.:big_smile:

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That post got me to thinking Mickey. I never looked for the cows, but when I'm driving home late at night from work, when I see lots of deer out and about along the roadways, I always seem to catch bigger fish on days near that.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its kind of hard to belive this fish by the moon stuff.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I won't even waist bait to fish within 3 days either side of the full moon. I have never had any luck.

I have been on the river, tearing them up, then like a switch they turn off, look up, and sure enough their is the moon coming up over the trees!:crazy:

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I think the clarity of the water can have an effect on it. If the water is clear the fish might tend to remain in hiding more. At least I've heard that excuse before, sounded good at the time as I hadn't caught anything either.:roll_eyes:

10. x575599

x575599 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My experience has been three days before and after the full moon the fishing slows down unless I am bream fishing, may all be phsycological. As far as looking at what the cows are doing I believe it, at least when it comes to deer hunting. I used to hunt a cow pasture and while the cows were down I wouldn't see any deer and when the cows did start moving the deer started walking. Just my opinion.

11. daltrey

daltrey New Member

State:
    corinth, ms
    Me and my friend got out this evening for a couple of hours and caught 10 nice blue's and we thought it was because there was a full moon. I guess we had it backwards. Oh well, I guess the fish didn't know any better. It was our first time using bluegills as bait and I have to say it was a blast.

12. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Ok so is it better to fish in the daytime then or not?I really do not know guys!!!!

Mickey the cows do know!!!!!!

13. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Living in the country I`ve heard all the different sides of this story. Some of the different things I learned are, when it`s time to fish-go no matter the moon. When deer are moving they`re hungry or horney. When the cows are laying down they`re tired. Just joking around, I`ve seen many days or nights that go against most theorys, so go fishing and enjoy the the time with someone special.

14. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I have heard old-timers tell me this to. look and see if there r cows near where u wanna fish, see if they r active or layin down. also, I have heard if you see a cardinal on th day u go fishin whether its before or during your trip th bite is supposed to be on to, but hasnt always happened that way for me. I say a bad day fishin is better'n a good day at work.

15. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I saw a cardinal this morning at the dock. Ive made sure I have every piece of gear at my disposal. The moon is going to be full and up pretty early. Now all I have to do is go check to see if the cows are moving and catch some bait. Wow thats a lot of stuff to remember, I thought fishing was supposed to be relaxing, Im beat:confuse:

16. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive heard both side too but Im not sure what I believe yet. Ive been trying to keep track of how I do depending on where the moon is but I dont know?! Ive already disproved one chart from the internet now Im checking out the daily fishing report on weather.com. Im going out today and staying the better part of the night so we' ll see how it turns out I guess. Ill make sure to check out the cows on my way too, Mickey!

17. bpalmer1951

bpalmer1951 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In an In-Fisherman publication I found the following data pertaining to moon phase and World Record Fish. Full moon period begins 3 days prior the day of the full moon and 3 days after. Durning this period 11 world record fish were caught, none of them catfish. The period just after the full moon period before the dark moon called Waning, 6 world record fish caught with one being a white catfish. During the Dark moon, the period 3 days before the day of the dark moon and 3 days after, 7 world record Fish were caught with the channel cat world record occuring during this time. There was four world records caught during the 1/2 moon phase called waxing, just prior to the full moon. It does appear that the statistical data indicates more activity during the time of full moon with a fair of amount of activity during a dark moon. IMO the bite may be linked to lunar activity but is probably linked more closely to the acitivity of the bait fish.

18. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have not had that great of luck around the new or full moons. I have however had some awesome days (and nights) close to and after a quarter moon. I have scheduled days off of work and family fishing trips around the quarter moon. Way too many trips have been wasted on chasing the full/new moon bite.

19. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    went out sat night moon didnt affect any, caught some channels on dk's bllod and gene's katbobbers w glow sticks in 3ft water, thanks gene great product

20. csellelrs

csellelrs New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have to go fishing when I can and just hope for the best.