Well This Really Stinks

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by field989, Jul 30, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i got some BAD BAD NEWS

it dont look like i am gonna beable to trap this year:cry: :doubt: :choler: :too_sad:

THIS REALLY SUCKS

the reason why is the ole $$$
    just not enough of it this year

but i did find a new place i can trap..

its my step dads grandmas....

shes got like a pretty good ammt of woods... so when winter brake comes around next year ill be ready!!!!

but maybe next year EH

im kinda bummed... but i guess this will give me time to get more stuff ready and what not

just figured id share the bad news wit yall lol

Jeff

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeff, sorry to hear that. I know you were really looking forward to it and doing some homework on it. If you can, start out slow and get a few used traps here and there at auctions and stuff, maybe you can still do a little trapping this yr, otherwise you will be even more ready for next year. Good Luck. I'm sure it will work out for you!

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

yeah i sure hope lol

thanks though

but i got a few conibear traps and a foot hold trap but heck i dont know but i do know that fur prices are RISING and proally next year they will be GREAT (maybe) lol

but i reckon it will give me more time to prepare and get stuff ready and what not...

but i do know i am goin to trappers ed class again next year thats for sure!
    it was a blast

Jeff

4. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Jeff for the past two years I have reinvested almost 1/2 of what I made back into my equipment. You say yes but you had equipment to start with. This would be correct, but you can take what equipment you have and put it to use and put all your profit back into equipment. There are a few of us older trappers that have lots of equipment and us it on long, big, gang set lines, but, I remember the day back when one such trapper, Gooboy had only 12 traps out and caught something like 6 coons and a mink. It may have been more. Any way, if you take what you have and make quality sets that produce, you can turn a profit and reinvest to make a bigger profit the next season. I will stress the point, you get what you pay for in the trapping line of equipment. So when you make and investment, by good quality tools that will last season after season. There is nothing any more dishearten than see a set that had held and animal, but due to equipment failure it is gone.

What type off traps do you need? I do have some older traps that I do not use any more, they are good traps, I just don't like them. I may be able to make you a real, real, real, good deal on them. Tell me what you want to catch, and I will tell you if these will work for that.

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeff, didn't you consider mowing some yards, or doing some odd-jobs for alittle extra cash? Is not having traps all that's stopping you?

Smitty

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I don't trap but read about it a bit. I would realy like to try it some day.In my reading there is a lot of talk os snares which are the least expencive traps I believe.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i would go insane in the winter if i didnt have somthing outdoors to do

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well i am aiming on coons and muskrat this year....

starting out easy

but i might be getting a job soon but i dont know yet

well i dont really have anything for trapping..
    i got 2 110 conibear and 1 foot hold trap

but i would need to make or buy stretchers and its just not lookin to good
    cause i dont even know how much i am gonna go deer hunting this year just too much stuff and too little time... thats what it seems like

Jeff

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Sorry to hear about the misfortune, Jeff. But hey, maybe you could still call a few 'yotes or somethin'.... It's not like you gotta girlfriend to go on a date with, so what else is there better to do? lol I'm just messin' with ya buddy. Trappin' can be kinda expensive to get into, but once you're in, if you take care of your stuff, you'll be in good shape. Prices was down last year, but you can still earn your money back. Just not a whole lot of profit during the first year. Good luck, buddy.

-Red

10. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hey jeff, this is just a thought, but sometimes i set a few traps on the property i deer hunt. saves time and money on gas. some people dont like to trap their huntin ground but if i dont then i might not get to trap near as much. good luck and i hope u can get some sets in.

11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeff, if your "serious" about wanting to trap, I'll make you a deal. If you'll PM me your address, I'll send you a few things to get you started, but you'll be required to agree to a few conditions, which I want you do do here, infront of your BOC brothers & sisters inorder to be held accountable for your promise.

1- To obey all the state laws & regulations.
    2- Be an "ethical" trapper & agree not to do anything which would be detrimental to trapping, or anything which would shine a "bad light" on trapping & trappers.
    3- Continue to educate yourself about trapping, and freely pass-along any knowlege you learn to anyone else interested about trapping.
    4- If at anytime you lose "interest" in trapping, you'll pass-along the items I'll send you to another young trapper who will agree to the same "terms".
    5- You'll not sell or trade any of the items I'll send you.
    6- When you can afford it, become a member of the ISTA (you know, Christmas isn't that far away, maybe you can ask for a membership?).
    7- You'll make a few posts regarding your trapping experiences this (upcoming) season once it arrives.

If you'll agree, I'll send you some items to get you started. If not, I'd appriciate your honesty in saying so.

Smitty

12. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    #1 i always obey state laws... hunting fishing, ANYTHING
    #2 i would not do that and the trapper ed class tought me alot of stuff ethics and what not
    #3 i would definately pass on info that i gain or already have about trapping, and i already do it a ton for hunting and fishing ALWAYS give out ways to help a fellow sportsman/woman out
    #4 i would do that to give some one else the ability to try out trapping
    #5 I DEFINATELY WONT DO THAT
    #6 i will DEFINATELY join it when i have the money (hopefully VERY soon)
    #7 yes i sure would do that

but only thing is that i dont know if my parents would approve of me giving out our address...
    BUT i WILL ask tomorrow (there sleeping right now)

but i hope they will let me

THANKS ALOT SMITTY FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP AND EVERYTHING!
    i appericiate(sp) it alot

Jeff

13. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeff, that's fine (about checking with your parents) as well as a good idea. If they aren't comfortable with it, that's fine, or if you're going to the convention in September, I'll get it to you there.

Smitty

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

hey smitty what is the ista?never heard of it.as i a trapper i dont belong to any groups, even though i wouldnt mind its just how do you decide to comit to just one or a few ?been thinking about becoming a member of the nta myself

15. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tom, ISTA is Indiana State Trappers Association. Jeff & I are both in Indiana. I'd suggest joining your state association 1st, and if you can swing it, the NTA as well.

Smitty

16. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    hey maybe they should talk to u or somethin like that.... then they would proally let me give u my address

but if they do i would have to pay u somethin

i dont think i could just TAKE THEM FOR FREE...

i would need to pay u somethin

i dont think it would feel ok

but THANKS alot all u guys for all your help and what not about getting me into trapping

Jeff

17. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    SMITTY SHE said she would like to talk to u before i give out my address

so i will pm u for it

18. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jeff- You wouldn't be the first young trapper I've done this for. There are many trappers out there who also do the same thing, so that isn't anything that isn't done on a regular basis. Trappers want the tradition & heritage of trapping to continue.....and no one lives forever, so the younger generation is who will be the ones to continue, as well as those generations to follow (I hope).

I do alittle "horse-trading" now & then, and sometimes take traps in on trade so that I end-up with some that I can give-away, which is the reason I get them to begin with. They aren't $10 apiece traps, so it isn't like I'm giving you anything more than just some old traps to get you started.

As far as "paying" for them, if I wanted to sell them I would have, or told you what I wanted for them. These traps do come with a cost, which was to agree to the conditions I'd made in a previous post. I'm sure when you get older, and hopefully still involved in trapping, that you'll do the same for a young trapper......and you'll understand better as to why.

Smitty