well no one talked about this??

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by JERMSQUIRM, Apr 13, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    [youtubevid]uI96AKMswLM[/youtubevid]

glad to see such a bad crash end with a wave.:wink:

anyone says these fellas aint athletes and conditioned dont know his butt from his elbow. 500 miles in the arizona heat with windows up heat on at 200 mph. thats what there day is like. with another driver on your bumper right in front of you hittin brakes and one on either side of you at side mirror distance.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Gotta admit, the cars are so much safer... sorry it took all those lives to get there....

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey try and get an embed here. i wanna see if you can do it. its easy once ya know how. i had to ask. "THE BARSE" another mike from UK helped me figure it out.

ya the more famous ones were adam petty, kenny irwin, late great dale e sr, fireball roberts and the list goes on. its became safer for sure.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    [youtubevid]EGvdpnSE9mc[/youtubevid]

anyone remember this? first time i had heard jimmys name. busch race at the glen. i was so happy to see him wave. so sad he has to be gordons teammate,lol.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah that sure was a nasty crash im just glad he walked away.I still say it dosent help to make the cars safer if the car your driving is underivable and end up causing twice as many wrecks because of it.eventually someone will get hurt.JMO

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Richard Childress museum has one of his old race cars in it.
    Bench seat and lap belt.
    Yea, they ran them at Daytona.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a Waltrip fan, and a fan of his team,,, but I have to say that is a wreck no one wants to see! Yes, we all watch and wait for the"Big One" but that crash brings chills to me.. Thank God for the safety devices and Nascar's standards towards racing. Ten years ago, the outcome of a crash like that could have been deadly! Hats off to Nascar! rollo

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea that was a bad wreck he was lucky he was able to walk away from it

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Not so sure about it being deadly 10 years ago.
    There have been plenty of horrible wrecks that were amazing that a driver walked away from.
    Petty at Daytona rolling down the front stretch fence comes to mind with an engine catapulting down the track.
    Petty pretty much crawled out of what was left of a roll cage. That was well over 10 years ago.

Bobby Allison at Pocono.

Rusty Wallace had a terrible catapulting wreck at Pocono. One roll carried him roof down over boiler plate guardrail in the infield.

Anybody remember the massive wreck at Dega where one car catapulted over other cars leaving tire marks on roofs and hoods?
    He wound up in the parking lot. Climbed out of it on his own. He went down 3 stories of the back side of banking in turn 1.

Lets see, was it Cale Yarborough in a Daytona practice or qualifying who met a head wind going down the back stretch and his car took off like an airplane?
    That was a bad one as well.

Been many horrific crashes over the years with surprisingly few fatalities or permanent serious injury considering.

The tumbling doesn't scare me near as bad as the sudden stops.
    As long as that car is tumbling its disapating energy more on car parts then on the driver.
    In those sudden stops the driver is part of the disapation of energy.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    [youtubevid]LLasTjJRCmQ[/youtubevid]

remember this one. WOW!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Although Earnhardt's wreck didn't look vicious it was the sudden stop that got him.
    His helmet was on side ways and his face didnt hit the steering wheel.
    He had a mark about the size of a credit card on the back of his neck.
    That was where the contact with the wheel occured and what caused the basal fracture.
    The side impact by Shrader is what they say got him turned in the seat just an instant before he went from around 165 MPH at the Schrader impact to the 0 MPH of forward momentum on impact with the wall.
    Earnhardt's death is a great example of a driver being part of the dissipation of energy instead of the car. The car did nothing to expend energy other then destroy the front clip and shear the hood pins.

How sudden was the stop?
    Some of the drivers sit on a crushed velvet or felt seat liner. Earnhardt was one of those.
    His body accelerated forward fast enough to melt the liner.

The wreck doesn't look that vicious on TV but those cars are moving alot faster then what it appears on TV.
    For some reason you could really tell this several times from different camera angles on Saturday night's race. Some of those shots looked like typical I-40 speeds as they went under the flag stand.

Now we have soft walls. Soft walls will dissipate alot of that energy.
    Had soft walls not been in place I would be surprised if the 00 driver would have lived past the initial impact with the wall.
    That was an Adam Petty shot to the wall. Brutally violent.
    The flipping part? That wasn't the worst of it.

I would say the biggest gains in safety in the last 10 years is in the head and neck restraints and softwall technology. You have to get that energy expended.
    As far as the car I think its an improvement to raise the roof height especially when you got someone Michael Waltrips height.
    The door panels are beefed up and foamed. Sure its safer but necessary?

Look at Indy cars. Those cars are designed to spatter on impact. Each one of those smoking parts flung high into the air is expending enormous amounts of energy away from the driver.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya thats what most thought about earnhardts crash (it didnt look that bad) and tonys looked worse several laps earlier in the race when he went airborne in the top 5 and landed on his teammates bobby labonte running in 36th. but the impact and rolling of tonys was the energy reducer and he walked away brused. i taped the race and in slow frame by frame motion the dales car froze for about three frames after the front end stopped crushing back. that was the moment that changed history. those three still frames.