well maybe all the michigan guys

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by airdrop, Nov 18, 2009.

1. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    gave up catfishing lol. I never did much catfishing when I LIVED in saginaw area but I think sanford Lake does have some nice channels. Had a friend fishing it back a few years an got a 10 pounder . Would like to try it some day when we're back for a visit.

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    There is one of us still lurking around on this site. I've put the rods away for the year though. As far as fishing near Saginaw, I'm not from that part of the state, but I had a really great trip to a friend's house in Bay City on the Kawkawlin earlier this summer, with pics in my profile. That was some of the best catfishing I have ever experienced, 25 pound stringer of channels in a couple hours in the rain at dawn there.

The Michigan section is pretty dead during the late fall and winter, everyone moves on to other hobbies. Even during the spring and summer there aren't enough people here from Michigan, I and the rest of us Michiganders will have to work on changing that.

3. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't live in Michigan but do follow this section. I go up to Detroit once every couple months for work, and always wanted to take off early and try some fishing there, but they usually fly me there so that kills my fishing plans. I always look for anyone posting from the Detroit area to hook up with, haven't saw anyone though.

10 years ago I used to climb communication towers for work, and spent a lot of time in the upper peninsula of Michigan. It was just awesome up there, the lakes and streams were just great.

So guys, I follow your section, and dream of one day taking my GF to the UP and weting a line. Never know, I might be knocking on your door for a fishing report..:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    In '99 I took my friends and my boat, that looks just like yours, from Grand Rapids to the UP, across the bridge and over on Highway 2, to a cabin on Milakokia Lake. The lake was a bit large for the boat, when it was windy there were whitecaps, so we were bounced around quite a bit when it was like that and crossing the lake was a lesson in patience, but mornings and evenings were calmer and the best. I don't think we had a day up there that we didn't limit out on yellow perch. We didn't get into the walleye we'd hoped, just a few small ones, but the abundance of perch gave us something to eat and bring home.

Another lake I have tried in the UP is East Lake, not far over the bridge near Newberry, MI. My family used to rent a cabin there when I was younger, again, the same boat. That lake was about 5' deep all around, except for a 60' hole with a pipe sticking up to mark where it was at. Normally the size limit on pike in MI is 24", that limit was suspended on East Lake because of the abundance of pike, especially around that hole. One of my best fishing memories is my father's 46" northern pike from one of those trips. Best bait was a red and white Daredevil spoon.

Both trips included visits to Tahquamenon Falls, Sault St. Marie, and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, so there are things to do besides go fishing. I would have been happy fishing 16 hours a day for 6 straight days myself, but others in the group were not so accomodating.:big_smile:

5. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, how about some of my Michigan stories:confused2:
    Back when I was travaling for work climbing towers we had the contract for servicing all of GTE towers. I probably spent 3 months a year up there working on different towers everyday. Most of these towers were in real small towns and their phone service went through them. Each location was about 35 miles apart. When I was on the U.P. I usually stayed at De Tour Village, and Drummond Island was a stop. Just great up there. The Mackinac bridge was a site to see, one time crossing that bridge probably 10 years ago a car blew off that bridge a few hours after I crossed it.

Worked a lot around your area too GLB. Paw Paw, Portage, Battle Creek, Marshall, Dawajack (spelling?)..and many small towns 35 miles apart. Ok here is the fishing story.

I had a crew of about 4 guys up there one fall, we were working out of Cadilac Michigan, we had a decent little motel room, real close to Cadiliac lake. We couldn't work because of icing on the tower, so were stuck there for a few days. We went to Wal-Mart and each purchased cheap fishing rods (the ones that have some hooks and bobbers included) we got some worms, and headed to that lake. I don't remember buying a license though :embarassed: We should have, but it just slipped our minds. We caught one catfish after another, it was like when the line hit the bottom, bam another bite. We just smoked them. All about 1-2 pounds. We kept about 20 of them and headed back to the motel room, to clean them..:smile2: We cleaned them in the bath tub, and put them in some foil with butter and lemon, and cooked them on our little propane bbq pit.

Day 2, we went out again the next morning, we come back with another mess of eater catfish and all our bags are sitting out side of our room. The maid had come into clean, and complained to the owner that the room smelled like a fish house and she looked in the tied black trash bag and saw all the catfish guts.:embarassed: They kicked us out man. LOL. We were all younger back then and probably should of known better.

I know this is kind of a rambling story, but just wanted to contribute to your section with my Michigan story.

6. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The west side of the U.P. was not on our travels, :angry: always on the east side up there, but im sure it's just as nice. Ooops, I have get going to work, I'll check back in later..

7. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    That's better than the time I caught a carp while sucker fishing in college and cleaned it in my dormatory kitchen. Man the janitor was angry, but not nearly as mad as when someone smashed pumpkins all over inside the dormatory community bathroom. There was a guy from Africa that lived in my dorm that wanted me to make soup out of the carp's head. Um, no thanks. I had a mess of suckers and that carp that I put in a smoker, they turned out very well.

8. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How big were these suckers? What do you use for bait, worms? I like using small suckers for bait here.

9. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Most were around 15" for white suckers, redhorse suckers maybe 17" or so. One white sucker I caught was 19", 1" shy of getting me a State DNR Master Angler patch. Each April they run up the rivers from Lake Michigan to spawn and during the run they are very easy to catch. Just worms and crawlers fished on the bottom as bait.

Since I started catfishing more seriously I have not been out sucker fishing, but have been meaning to so I can cut them up and freeze them for bait later in the year.

10. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I get small red horse suckers with my cast net in the creeks here. They seem to make decent cut bait, they are real tough and stay on the hook good. They usually have a decent amount of blood too when you cut them, which helps with a scent to the bait. I seem to get around 7 inchers in the net. I think I have about 4 of them in the freezer now.

11. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    At 7" those would be about perfect for bait, cut for channels or live. The ones I caught were too large for live bait; I don't own a rod large enough to use even the smaller ones from the main "run". I think next spring I will make a real effort to get out and catch a dozen or so, and donate the rest of my catch to whoever else is fishing along the bank there. Usually when I went before there were Asian-Americans fishing for them that asked if I had any I didn't want. I'm interested in finding out what sort of dish they prepare with them, as doing the whole smoking process was a lot of work and I'd need to find a new smoker.