Well, let's try it here.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Kutter, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I posted this last month in the health & nutrition section, with not one person replying. Perhaps I can get some info from here. Surely somebody out there is familiar enough with it to answer.

I am familiar with what probotics are and why they are needed, however, I am confused about one thing. When shopping for some, I find both contents & price cover a very wide spectrum. Some have only one main ingredient, others have a different one or have several. I've seen one months supply range in price from a little over $3. to over $40.

What gives?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tom,I'd love to help,But I honestly have no clue,I dont do the vitimin thing,I guess cause my 78 yr old mother is becoming a health nut:wink:,I realize they are needed ,But last time she gave me a bottle of them,the horse pills eventually got tossed,I just cant swallow the dam things.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bacteria or yeast. What kind of bacteria or yeast? It is all in the bug you swallow that will determine the cost.

Saved my marriage (unfortunately) and my wife's sanity. She uses a product out of California, has for 10 years. Irritable bowel syndrome.

Research is rampant, because the junk works. It is another you get not necessarily what you pay for. Some bugs cost more to grow, some bugs ain't worth a tinkers damb, some manufacturers put either or in a product and charge what the market will bear.

Pick one and try it. Go through as many as you can afford till you hit the right one. If you try a number and you ain't better then go fishing.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    "probotics", sounds like something from a health food store. I don't shop at those but maybe this is it.:wink:

5. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    "probotics" ...........sounds like something the doc does with a robot 'cause he doesn't want to put his hand there:wink::smile2:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Phil, that's just...............wrong.:eek:oooh:

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Actually, Mr Xbeetle is on target. ouch!
    John, over the past 5 years or so, I have been on Morphine, Oxycodone or other form of opiate painkiller. For some reason, this has severely killed off the bacteria & yeast in my digestive tract. I take live yeast yogurt nearly every day to help, but while it does restore the some yeast, it doesn't help with bacteria & other forms of yeast. I go through at least a dozen Rolaids a day, on a good day.

For you others, Probotics is a form of remedy to help restore the good things in our digestive tract. They help when we have lost our own ability to digest food due to medications such as antibiotics, that have killed off the good "bugs" in us.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just cause ya don't understand don't kick somebody else's dog.

Tom, they are good complimentary things to a complete lifestyle. I know what you are going through. My wife had a condition we spent many dollars on. Colonoscopies, drugs, Dr's. visits. She couldn't go out. She couldn't eat food. Cramps, bloods, embarrassment. It was a bullet in the head or a life's saving in a psychiatrist and MD's.

She researched and researched and we came up with this probiotic plan. In her case it is a bacteria that solved her dilema. Almost immediately she felt better. A capsule she takes daily. Comes from California in a dry ice package to keep the little critters alive. Has been on it almost 10 years and I know it has given her long after I am dead to enjoy life.

XBeetle, aka AW

9. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I sure learned from you two thanks for the lesson

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I continue to learn new words from the people on BOC.

I now can relate to the problem.

After having complications from heart valve replacement surgery I was on antibiotics, morphine and other drugs for several weeks. From all that I developed a severe case of diarrhea. The heart hospital in Houston tried everything but couldn't stop it. They finally agreed to release me, since that was my only problem. As soon as I got home I went to a gastroenterologist that had treated me for bleeding ulcer. He said get on nothing but clear liquid diet for three days then start back with buttermilk. He said if that didn't work I would have to go back in the hospital to fed by IV. But after the clear liquid for three days and starting back with buttermilk cured me. He said the buttermilk help get the lower GI back to normal or something like that for it's been 18 years.