well its official

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by mr channel, Nov 17, 2005.

1. mr channel

mr channel New Member

State:
    sharpsville/kokomo Indiana
    its official its cold outside and i dont think its gonna get any warmer. Had ice on the pond this mourning. Whats youre guy's plan of action for winter cat fishin i never have much luck and just need a few pointers i live around kokomo and would like some advice,,thanks

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Darn the luck,seems like it's been getting cold for a while this time of year.Maybe its starting a trend.I also notice it will start getting warmer in about 5 months,according to my log.Some type of pattern I'm guessing.

Heres another trend,seems to be getting dark at night lately,but then it gets light towards the morning.Can't figure it out yet.

As far as my winter plan for catfishing,think I try going to Fl. in Jan.,has been working for the last 12 years.Is that long enough to call it a pattern??

:D :D :D

Just messing around...I switch to crappie in the winter.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I can usally get out all year on Lake of the Ozarks, but with out them running any water out of Truman dam due to lack of rain I may have to wait and see. Got down to 19 last nite but the lakes don't have ice yet. It usally stays open here I have 2 ice augers that haven't been used in years. :0a18:

4. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

HEY COOK
    come on down,im setting here with my shirt off looking out at the water
    i dont see any ice,just water,ducks,cattails,and it is going to get cold
    tonight way down to 58 degrees,i will probobly have to pull up the sheet tonight.e.mail me as to where you will be in januray,if you are going to be close to new port richey let me know.
    KIRK :cool:

5. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    This is going to be my first winter to try fishing. I work ouside a lot so don't really mind the low temps. I just never thought you could catch fish in the winter. There is a hot water outlet from a power plant about an hour away. Talking with the locals around there, they say the cats come in there after baitfish during December and January. Who knows. I don't think I will put the boat in but the area is accessible to bank fish.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Aruba, Jamaca, oh I wanna take ya to Bermuda, Bahama's, come on pretty Momma, Key Largo, Montigo, baby why don't we go down to Kokomo.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if i want fish cats in the winter i swich to channel cats. i dont have any bluecats around me or i would fish for those. other than that i fish for bass musky panfish ect.........

8. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Here is what has worked best for me in the winter. I prefer to fish rivers. The hot water discharges can be good areas in the winter but I have always had better luck fishing deep holes in the river. The Ohio River is a great location for winter fishing. In some of the deeper holes you will find big balls of baitfish. I usually look for this and then fish under it with cut bait ( mostly skipjack or shad). Sometimes you can find the cats schooling together at this time of year feeding on the baitfish.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am in ohio and I have had decent luck before in fishing for winter channel cats..I usually will try spillways which will have open water, or deep holes on the river..Be on the look out for warming trends in the winter, they will turn the cats on a little.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Never give up and dress WARM, LOL!!!