Well It Was A Record......

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    After careful review and looking on the net, I submitted the pic of my "Sunshine Bass" to the Florida Wildlife Commision. This is what they said....

Bad news/good news. A sunshine bass is a hybrid bass, see http://www.myfwc.com/Fishing/Fishes/stripers.html#sunshine and that is what you caught. The existing record is 16.3 pounds so had your fish been certified it would have been a record. See http://www.myfwc.com/Fishing/pdf/record-applicationPRINT.pdf for how to certify a record. If you filleted it, all we can do is provide a Big Catch certificate, see http://www.myfwc.com/Fishing/bigcatch/bigcatch.html. For how to measure a fish and to estimate it's weight based on length and girth, see http://www.myfwc.com/Fishing/Fishes/measure.html

It was a beautiful fish and I hope you enjoyed your outing, if you want to provide me some more details and permission to use the photo, I'll consider using it in one of my Fish Buster columns, as a reminder about sunshine bass fishing and the BigCatch/Record programs.

Good Luck and Good Fishing...

Bob Wattendorf
    Marketing and Special Projects Coordinator/WebMaster
    Freshwater Fisheries Management
    620 South Meridian St.
    Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600

Phone: 850/488-0520
    Fax: 850/413-0381
    Mobile: 850/528-1060

Well it just goes to show you that you never know. I wished I would have ask someone other than the neibor. But if there is one there is always another.
    By the LxW it weight 17.5#....At least I will still be recongnized.LOL.
    Glenn

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO

Nothing is coming up man. Not sure what is wrong with it. Just a heads up.

3. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Well I dont know why it is not coming up but I was trying to show yall the e-mail that the wildlife commision sent to me. He said it was a new record but it will not be certified. It will go on the books as being an unofficial state record and I will get an award and all that. So before long when you look under sunshine bass for florida you will see my name as an unofficial state record. The biologist is coming to get the crcass to do some studies on the earbones to see the age of the fish.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thats cool glen congrats , question , do state records taste better?lol
    go back and do the same only catch one bigger

5. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Yep they make you feel like, well, a record fish eater. LMAO

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Never ever make the mistake of doing this with the wife's catch.I have not been forgiven for a mackerel in 25 years.peewee-williams

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    25 years, holy mackerel thats along time.:lol:

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Congrats on catching the state record!!! So how did that record taste??? LOL.:big_smile: Well not to worry brother we all know your a winner.:0a12: :0a12:

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    thats cool though, at least you will always have the book to show off ;)

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Congratulations On The Record Brother

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Congrats again, that's still cool to catch a fish like no one has ever caught before. Great job!!

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Congrats! Thats something to be proud of.
    Bill

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    ......Thats funny!......:big_smile:

14. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    When I was younger I cleaned and ate what I considered to be a very large catfish. Turned out it would have spanked the state record... because it was a bullhead.

I feel ya brother lol

15. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Update....Because I dont have the scales I weight the fish with I will just be recieving a certificate, it wont go down as a unofficial record. Oh well, I will be going back for another, but this time I will know the drill. The wildlife biologist came by to day to get the carcass, and The guy that has the scales I used works out of town during the week. They wanted to test them to see how acurate they were. By one formula he weight 16.5 by another it weight 17.5 and the othe it weight 18.5. Why so many formulas? The one the wildlife commision uses is the first. I am finding out that you have to be text book on everything...well my first time so I will chaulk it up to a learning lesson. I am sending a pic of the fish in and havind a replica made at 16.5 and I will hang my certificate under that. It will still be cool, besides all that really matters is I know and the man upstairs. Thanks to everyone for your comments and not jokin on me to hard...however I to can laugh now.

Glenn

16. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    awsome fish.congrats on the catch.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yep!Miss Wanda just read this and reconfirmed.I have not been forgiven.Now I did eat her Mackerel that would have easily been a Georgia record.It tasted mighty good at the time,but has been hard to keep down ever since she found out that it would have been a record.That fish has given me heartburn and indigestion for 25 years.peewee-williams