Well I guess my husband set us up with a Gentleman

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Aug 15, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    that teaches the Missouri Concealed weapons permit. He taken me to the gun shop and I picked out a Glock 45acp I believe is what it is. The course is all day this coming Saturday. Wish me luck folks,this is new territory for me.
    I pray fervently that I NEVER EVER find myself in a scary situation where upon I would have to protect myself but we are surrounded sadly by such awful wickedness that folks just never know anymore. I love my girls to death and if we are home alone and someone gets crazy idea's about harming any of my family members I will have to do something.Perhaps I can wing them and if it disables them then I can talk about the Lord to em and how badly they need to have God in their lives,all the while waiting on law enforcement to make an appearance. I hope that does not sound like a dumb statement but my preacher basically said the same thing!:wink::smile2:

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pea Kay: Good luck to you. A suggestion though. Make sure you wing 'em good before you try talking to them. A lot of times they just aren't in the mood for conversation.

3. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.

Hi Pk:

Owning a gun can't be an easy choice to make, but (sadly) in today's world, they're a necessary EVIL!! On this side of the pond, owning a firearm is highly illegal, so only CRIMINALS have them. Take comfort in the knowledge that at least you have one thing we don't........ namely, CHOICE!!

I've had this discussion with olefin in the past & we both agree on this point. It doesn't make you a bad person Pat, just a REALIST, so rest easy.

Take care.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Pat just remember to squeeze the trigger and breath you should be ok. I dont agree with a .45 for you but thats me I would have probably gotten a .38 revolver i.e. point and shoot or a .410 for some light shotgun action.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I truly appreciate your comments.It means alot!! Reps to ya for being so nice to be kind to me!~~~~~~~~~~Sister Pat:big_smile::cool2:

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I'll have to agree with Gary why in the world a 45. You fire that thing off it's gonna do more than just wing them. Just be careful with what ever you wind up with.
    Really don't think talking to them will do a lot of good.Especially right after you just winged them.Don't think they would be talkative.
    Guess you could get a 30/30 then we could call you Annie Oakley.Just Kidding you. Just be Careful Please.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't care who it is, I think that any person will do better learning to shoot something with less recoil. Once they've got the hang of it, they can move up to something more powerful if they want to.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Shotgun. Just point and shoot. Wingin em ain't the answer. They did not have the intention of wingin you. They are what they are and should be treated as such. And the entire time you are talkin to them about the lord. They will be talkin to you about defense attorny.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Pat dear,
    Winging people is what happens in the movies. If you are going to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger you have to be intending to kill them because unless you stop them they will undoubtedly be looking for a way to kill you. A .45 is a cannon. You don't shoot someone in the arm with a .45, you take their arm off but unless you are very good with it you will most likely miss. If you must have a andgun I feel that a .22 or a .38 is much more useful. More people have been stopped by being hit with a .22 or a .38 then by standing next to a hole in the wall from a .45!
    Home defense is a serious business when it has to be done. I believe a shotgun is by far the best weapon.
    Whatever you end up with please don't just stop at one day of tuition. You need to be able to use that gun with confidence in a very stressfull situation. You need to be able to load it, take off the safety and fire it in the dark first time, every time. You need to have the courage and confidence to shoot at your assailant dead center (pun intended) without hesitation. All that will take practice and commitment.
    God forbid you ever have to do it but if it comes down to it you have to be thoroughly prepared...W

10. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC

Pat keep in mind that this criminal entering your home while you are there is going to have much more experience than a one day class with a weapon that is too much for him to be handling to start with!

I agree with Big George and if you only wing them they very likely will still be trying to figure a way to kill you or at least hurt you bad enough to still get away.

There are law enforcement officers here on the board and many other members that know of others that have had first hand experience in these dealings, listen to them for your own well being and safety!

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Pat, when you bring your gun home, PLEASE please please teach your GIRLS about it as well.. Stress to them gun safety and how to handle a weapon.. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put them through a gun safety course as well.
    If they are taught how to safely be around a weapon, chances of accidental shootings go waaay down. Even when they go down the street to their friends house and their friends wanna show off their parents gun, they will have the knowledge of what NOT to do and may even help save their friends life as well (I personally think gun safety should be a class in school, but thats just me)... Alot of child accidents happen because someone didn't take the mystery, curiosity, or time to explain the dangers and correct way to handle a weapon.

12. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pat: You have been on my mind since I answered you this morning. You have received excellent information by many knowledgeable and informed people. I think they are thinking about your well being above anything else. A 45 is a tough gun. I know men who have trouble with them, including myself. Nancy has a 38 under her side of the bed and she knows how to put it on the sternum of anybody. She will pray for their souls after she kills them. Even go down to a 22, something with fast action.

Whatever you decide on please don't take a one day course and put it under your pillow thinking you are John Wayne. Buy a case of shells and shoot it, and shoot it, and shoot it. Clean it, oil it, polish it, wipe the fingerprints off it, carry it unloaded in your belt, name it, take it to supper with you. You have mentioned your Husband runs your house. Great, good and wonderful. Maybe you could talk to Nancy for me. When he ain't home and you have to pull that puppy out you are the boss. Know what that gun can do for you and you will do the rest.

What are you going to name it?

John

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Wing him?
    You better aim to kill him lest the judge give him what you have.

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Wing him hell! ????:crazy:

A person in your home that is intending to rob you of life or liberty or possessions is there to do you harm, great harm!

If you 'wing them' they will try to escape by any means possible, killing you the witness if at all possible.

I have to admit this post struck me as a little comical at first. You know the heat-packing Nun, wounds her assailant, then tries to convert the guy to christianity as he lay there bleeding to death with a gun pointed at him. I think I would even profess my 'faith' under those conditions, and beg the cops to take me when they arrived.:wink:

15. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    care like you all do!Please allow me to put your minds at ease. My husband is a top notch gun man.He use to possess a Federal FireArms Licence because it was his Hobby to buy and sell guns.The only reason that he no longer does that is because there got to be too much red tape with it and he became througherly ill with all the new Regulations that the Government kept coming up with and still do. We are lifetime members of the NRA.

Now I have been asked about the 45.I chose a Glock 45 after we had discussed the situation. He told me it was a big gun,but not as big as his Freedom Fire arms 454 Casull.When we were dating,he had his first 454 Casull. He was scared to death to shoot it.He had pictures of folks whose thumbs were either torn off or pretty beat up by this gun. We were out and about looking for a fishing hole and personally I got tired of him being so afraid of something he owned.So I told him to park,find me a shooting place that was reliable and safe. He said to me "Why" I looked at him very seriously and said "Hun, I'm going to shoot the 454,and prove to you there is nothing to be afraid of". The Look on his face was priceless. He has Shock written all over his face.I said "Park this vehicle" Sooooooooooo!!! He did. He got all the required stuff out,gave me the gun. I asked for Ammo,he gave it to me just speechless. I put on my ear protection,commensed loading. When the targets were all set in place,I commensed firing.I don't know but possibly this might have been one of the things that led to him and I getting married. He was deeply impressed.

Now listen family: I have every intention of shooting and shooting and,shooting. I know I need to Practice and Practice I shall. Yes my teenagers will be taught gun safety,every facet of it,I will take every precaution known to man when it comes to our daughters.

The question was asked why not a .38. I had some experience with a snub snose 38 years ago and after shooting it, I abhorred it. I couldn't hear for several hours afterwards and I just don't like em.

Now I must say,that I love each and everyone of you.Thank you so very much for your concern. My husband just came home and informed me that I need to go to the sheriff's office no later than tomorrow to sign some paper work and then my husband can finish purchasing the firearm. We have to and will abide by the laws of the state of Missouri.God Willing I will never ever have to use it for self and family defense. I am so moved and touched by your concern,thank you. And Brother Postbeetle don't go a worryin about me now,my husband will make darn good and sure that everything works out. And as far as your wife and me talkin that's great I'd be happy to,cause ya see my husband is the head of my home because we adhere to the Bible,and the Bible says that He is in Charge so I say ok!! Love to you all~~~~~Pat:smile2::wink::cool2:

16. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, Pat, you learn something new every day. Now today I have learned to be really careful when I'm around you! :smile2:

Personally, I'm really careful around guns and have generally avoided them, even though I would defend the right to carry one. I have counseled too many people who pulled the trigger far too soon. It's impossible to replace a child, loved one, or innocent bystander. I would rather invest in security lights, alarms, and personal safety devices and leave the gun for the firing range. On the other hand, I'm sure you'll do what's best.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Pat, here's my wifes gun, S&W Lady Smith, 38 SPL. It fits nicely in her purse, no hammer to hang on things and it's super light weight but will shoot the most powerful + P 38 SPL ammo sold.

I have a "Baby" Glock model 26, 9 MM but she doesn't have the strength in her hand to work the slide. I bought it special for carry but it's hard to beat her Lady Smith due to its weight and size.

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Just some info for others. Gun permits will no longer be required to purchase a concealable firearm in Missouri beginning Aug 28th. The Jackson County Sheriffs Office will cease taking permit applications at 5 pm on Aug 21st. Permits for applications submitted on or before Aug. 21st will be issued up to 5 pm Aug. 27th.

19. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pat,
    I was told years ago that if you point a gun AT someone, shoot to kill. As all others have said they will be out to kill any witnesses if they can. Also, if they live, they WILL sue you and alot of those are won. I wouldn't want a criminal to own your stuff! That is partly what you are trying to avoid.

Can't help with what kind of gun to get, I only got to go shoot a few times as a kid and a twice as an adult. Considering that I hit my target most of the time, and factor in my tempor, the men in my family thought it was better if I DID NOT have a gun.:wink: I probably will have one someday anyway cause I liked target practicing.:big_smile:

20. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    keep a high powered spotlight next to your bed. when someone is in total darkness and then they get a million candle power right in the eyes, its gonna give you plenty of time to figure out what to do.