well i got the steaks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Wil, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    yup went out opening weekend and knocked one down this morning. i thought he was a doe but he was just a big bodied yearling buck.. i wasnt too happy bout shooting a lil buck but it was an honest mistake and hell give some good meat too..

2. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    everybody has made that mistake will,good job

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Glad you got one. Good job!

4. skigill

skigill New Member

State:
    WV
    Maybe the big one will be next.

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Will;
    I agree with Brother Jeff, anyone that has hunted Deer for any time at all has made that "mistake"!
    The mistake NOT to make, is wasting the animal; and it's gift! Seeing the part of the U.S.A. you live in, I KNOW you will NOT do that! :wink:
    I bet you learned something from this Shot/Deer and I just have a hunch that your next shot will be made through more experienced eyes, and a more knowledgeable brain, than you had on this shot!:wink:
    Just be Thankful to that Deer for giving up it's life and don't waste the "Gift" it has given you and everything will be O.K..
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    heres my deer.. it had a big body for a yearling and thats why i thought it was a doe but itll sure taste good

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I done that a couple times, but where I hunt don't usually get time to look em over good. I've passed up deer when I didn't have a permit for antlerless deer, but anything with less than 1, 3 inch antler is considered antlerless, and thats pretty small antlers if its movin or far away. Last year I shot a small 6 pt basket, but if he hadn't stopped and stared at me I'd never seen the antlers. Got a spiker this year, didn't notice it was a buck till i got to it. but they taste good, and are mighty tender. I'm out there to enjoy the woods, gettin a deer is a bonus, and then the work starts. but i enjoy it like fishin, gettin a fish is a bonus

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't worry, everyone has done it before. I was hunting an area were does were between 65 and 80lbs, and the yearlings and button bucks were 30 to 45lbs. I picked the biggest doe in the group, and dropped her. When I got to her, found out it was a little button buck, A 72LB BUTTON BUCK! I've never seen a yearling buck that big in this part of the state, EVER! Sometimes nature can play tricks on even an experienced hunter, so just enjoy the hunt, and thank the lord for the good meat.

Congratulations!

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dont be mad,If yer eating it then harvesting is ok nicely done man