Well I got my wish

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by bearsfan, May 11, 2007.

1. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have been trying to hook a monster and last night it happened on the fear. Only one problem I hooked him on a small rod I use for catfishing in ponds. It has 14 pound test on it. The monster started ripping line out on the baitrunner and I waited a bit and clicked the reel into gear the fish did not care and continue ripping line against the drag. Needless to say the I never even got to turn the fish before the line snapped. It was by far the largest fish I had ever hooked. I totally knew I was taking a risk using that pole with such light line. Since I did not see the fish it must have topped 100 pounds. I will never go to a gun fight with a butter knife again. Tightlines to all

2. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    there's some nice cats in cape fear if you can just get them to bite or find them. iv saw some monsters come out of there!

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Quote:
    "I totally knew I was taking a risk using that pole with such light line. Since I did not see the fish it must have topped 100 pounds. I will never go to a gun fight with a butter knife again".
    Jeremy,
    You said it! Tough lesson to learn on what could have been a huge fish.
    Hopefully you will be tooled up for him next time...W

4. d_guerrero1

d_guerrero1 New Member

State:
    Roselle, Illinois
    Tough break bro.:sad2: Better luck next time.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Any fish that breaks your live is over 100 pounds...ANY!!

No matter how light the line is stick to your story!!! :big_smile:

6. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    That fish was the same fish that scares the crap out of divers at the bottom of dams.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Darn right it was!!!! I heard there's a fish swimmin' around down there with a VW bug full of illegal aliens in his belly, and 14 lb. test line hanging out his gaping mouth.

The ones that got away are always the biggest for me too. There's nothing more fun than a "I just wish I coulda seen him" story.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark it down."Lesson learned". Don't make the same mistake twice. We have all done stunts like that. Just Smile.:lol: :smile2:

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    If you want to mess with the big boys then bring out the big toys!:big_smile:

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Last week i hooked one on a jug. it was a 20 inch noodle. he would take it under and hold it 3 minutes at a time and come up 100 yards away. I was sure i had the worlds record. i was prepared 9/0 hook with 600 lb parachute cord . don't plan on him getting away again. i got him to the surface once several years ago before he broke the line. anyway after chasing my jug for 45 minutes last week i got him in the boat. it was a very ticked off flathead that only weighed 20 pounds.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thats surely a 100 lb.der.till i joined the boc 20 lb.test line was all i used in fresh water.with what ive learned my fish have growed some. after getting 30 lb.broke i went to 40 got it broke now i have 65 lb.powerpro on my rigs and cant wait to get it broke.lol

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hum, is u sure it was a 100lber. :lol: U better be ready the next time. :cool2:

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    yea i had a 100lb. fish break my line the other day too, at least that's what i try to tell people. :wink:

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i think i lost that fish today on the ohio river

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've had the same luck here lately. I got two stripers at one time on my unltralight perch rod last weekend. That was a mess on 6 lb. line. Last year, while brim fishing with my boys, my 5 yr. old hooked a carp about 25-30 lb. in al ocal pond that eventually broke his line, but I was laughing at him playing that fish. He's never had so much fun. If you put out a lightweight rod, they'll hit it for sure.

16. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i got one better....was out on the wabash one night and got a good hit, i lifted the rod and the line broke back down about the 4th eye hole, well my brother then tells me he accidently singed the line with his cig the other day grrrrrrrrr he bout went into the river after my fish .....rule of thumb dont let ur siblings touch your equipment lol